Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive not letting me get into BIOS or do anything at all

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Crazysealions

Crazysealions

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:15 AM

I was running Windows XP Professional on my 80GB Maxtor hard drive split into 2 partitions, The first 40gb partition being Windows XP and the second partition of 40gb being my games etc, I decided to install Windows 7 so I created a bootable usb and booted from it and formated the 40GB partition of Windows XP and proceeded to install Windows 7, after expanding files and completing installation it said that it needed to restart my pc (to get to the next step of the install) so it then restarted my PC and I noticed that my PC was just staying on the Asus motherboard logo, I tried hitting delete to enter the BIOS and it didn`t work, I decided to restart the PC and immediately pushed the bios hotkey and it took me to the bios post screen which showed me that it detected my hard drive something like (Primary Master Maxtor HDD) Health status: OK  etc but it just never moves from there and never brings me to the bios. The only way I could get into the bios is by removing the hard drive so I decided to try another one of my hard drives and everything works perfect...... but I know that the hard drive that wont work is actually a good hard drive because by coincidence I used SeaTools for Windows today and passed all of the tests.

I considered putting it in a friends PC and formatting it and then sticking it back in here, but I really need to figure this out because the 40GB partition has very important files that I need, and it`s my only 80GB hard drive, all of my others are 40gb and under :(

Motherboard: Asus P5GD1

P.S: My goal is just to get that hard drive working again so I can put back Windows XP - I really wish I would not have touched it -_-!
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

The BIOS has nothing to do with the hard drive, other than recognizing it as a component and possible boot device.

Do you have a license to install Win 7?

From what I read...you are attempting to install Win 7 on a netbook...and you may not have suffieient RAM to do such, IMO.

I don't believe that every version of Windows will install on a drive where a partition already exists...I am used to OEM versions and I believe they expect to find a bare hard drive.

The Windows install contains the capability for formatting, creating the partition, and installing Windows.  There is no reason to ever format a hard drive before using the Windows install machinery.  I would just delete the existing partition and try again.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users