Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does Windows Defender' s full scan takes so long I have to cancel it

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 regazza

regazza

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:13 AM

Windows 8.1 update laptop

When I do a full scan on Windows Defender it takes so long that I have to cancel it as it can take 8 hours just to scan a fraction.  I can only do a quick or a custom scan.   I stopped using Defender as I thought there might be some blockages making it so slow  :unsure: .  I downloaded AVAST freebie and thought that a full scan would resolve it.  I then uninstalled AVAST and tried Defender's Full scan again but still having the same problem that I can't do a full scan.  Can I rectify this please?  :huh:  I do  malwarebytes\super antispyware scans daily..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:30 AM

Hi regazza :)

Do you know where Windows Defender takes the most time? What folder it's in, or is it even stuck on a file in particuliar? You might want to check if you have updates for it waiting via the Windows Updates.

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates
Follow the instructions below to check for available Windows Updates and install them:
  • Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • From there, click on System and Security and select Windows Updates;
  • Click on the Check for updates button in the left-pane;
  • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found, Recommended Updates and Recommended Updates (or Optional Updates);
  • Click on X Important Updates (X being the number of updates being found) and make sure that they are all checked;
  • Install every Important Updates found and restart your computer once it's done;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:59 AM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
    ...see How an Anti-virus Program Works.
  • Options to scan for rootkits, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
Note: Using two or more program security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.

To speed up a scan, clean out temporary (junk) files first, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one and do not use the computer during the scan.

Generally there are three types of scans offered by most anti-virus and anti-malware programs:
  • Quick Scan only checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. The length of time for performing a Quick scan will vary but it generally takes about 15-30 minutes so they can be performed daily.
  • Full Scan is much more comprehensive since it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing a Full scan will also vary but because it is so comprehensive, this type of scan can take several hours. Most Full Scans can be scheduled to run late at night when not using the computer so you can perform a weekly scan without having to monitor it.
  • Custom Scan allows the user to select any files and folders on the hard drive to be scanned.
Microsoft recommends that you schedule a daily Quick Scan to check the areas of your computer that malware is most likely to infect. A Quick Scan occurs automatically per the Defender maintenance schedule. Running a daily Full scan is not really a problem or necessary but it is time consuming and excessive. Security scans are disk and processor intensive and will raise the temperature of the computer while scanning. Although the drive should not suffer from such overusage, it is doing a lot of unnecessary disk access that isn't needed. Since real time protection is always on, a scan is generally used to look for anything that may have been missed by that feature. Generally, a Full scan is only necessary when your system is showing signs or symptoms of infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

Hi regazza :)

Do you know where Windows Defender takes the most time? What folder it's in, or is it even stuck on a file in particuliar? You might want to check if you have updates for it waiting via the Windows Updates.

Edited by regazza, 01 May 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#5 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

Hi Aura, before doing the full scan I did troubleshoot/windows update to check if an update would resolve the issue but it hasn't, but when I try doing a full scan next time I will note what the folder is that is making it very slow, - thanks.

BTW I noticed that you are in Quebec, I used to live in Montreal and thought Quebec was beautiful. 

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

I live in Québec yes, and it's a beautiful province if you ask me :) Alright, let me know how it goes. I would also take notes of what quietman said above.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.

Thanks, I do do a Quick Scan daily and not at the same time as I am doing other scans.  Ideally doing a full scan every week. 

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

Thanks, I do do a Quick Scan daily and not at the same time as I am doing other scans.  Ideally doing a full scan every week.

Then do you full scan late in the evening and let it run all night while you're not using the computer.

#9 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Then do you full scan late in the evening and let it run all night while you're not using the computer.

I have never thought about doing that, I supposed the laptop would get overheated being left on overnight  :unsure:.   I read on another forum that it took one person about 56 hours to do a full scan. :whistle:   I guess I am just very concerned about my laptop being ok, if I can only do a custom scan with Windows Defender.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

If your laptop overheats for staying on too long, while only running a scan, you have another issue than the Windows Defender scan time here.

unite_blue.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

Leaving the laptop on overnight would be about 8 hours so that should eliminate any concern for it being unattended longer than that. Anyway, as I said there really is no need to be doing Full scans that often unless your system is showing signs or symptoms of infection.

#12 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

If your laptop overheats for staying on too long, while only running a scan, you have another issue than the Windows Defender scan time here.

Thanks - I didn't know whether it would overheat.  :thumbup2:

#13 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:06 AM

Leaving the laptop on overnight would be about 8 hours so that should eliminate any concern for it being unattended longer than that. Anyway, as I said there really is no need to be doing Full scans that often unless your system is showing signs or symptoms of infection.

Thanks, I think I am probably very OTT   :oneeye: about my laptop.   :)

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

No problem regazza, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users