Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping HD's and Migrating to Win7

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rushbikes

rushbikes

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hi all!

Currently running Vista on a drive that still works, but I'm told by Vista is faulty. I've tried fixing the drive using various resources to no avail, and so I'm looking to swap out this drive for a new one and, in the process, upgrade to 7.

Important files are backed up (only back up, not mirrored or cloned - I'd like to start from scratch with Win7), and I just installed the new drive - it's currently being formatted and assigned a drive letter using the Vista's Computer Management tool.

I have a Windows 7 DVD ready to go. Do you think the best course of action is to install it on the new HD, and then change the boot priority in DOS to the new HD before removing the old HD? Is it more complicated than that? Is there a better way? A couple things to note that may or may not be applicable is that the PC does not have an internal DVD-ROM drive, but I've connected an external one via USB. And both HD's are SATA so I don't have to fuss around with jumpers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:12 PM

Hi rushbikes :)

Personally, I would swap the old hard drive with the new one, then boot from the Windows 7 installation media (CD/DVD or USB) and install Windows 7 that way. It's the easiest way if you ask me. All the drivers will be installed and you can easily download the missing ones after. If you're missing your Ethernet or Network Controller drivers, you can download them from another computer and transfer them after using a USB flash drive, CD/DVD or open a phone.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rushbikes

rushbikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

Great idea. Done (nearly). Both hard drives are active, one with Vista and the other w Win7. Upon booting up, BIOS asks me which I'd like to boot. Fair enough...

Now when I disconnect the Vista hard drive and turn everything on, my BIOS says "No boot device available," followed by a list of SATA ports, e.g. SATA-0: Installed, SATA-1: None, etc. The only options at this stage are to press Enter to retry (which does nothing).

Is there something I need to tweak in my boot setup menu?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:00 PM

You can leave both drives connected and use EasyBCD free edition to create a custom BCD that will allow you to select the OS in which you want to boot.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 rushbikes

rushbikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

If I just want to do away with Vista and the HD it's on, do I still need EasyBCD?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

If I just want to do away with Vista and the HD it's on

Sorry I don't understand what you mean here.

unite_blue.png

#7 rushbikes

rushbikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Apologies. Let me clarify.

I have two HD's currently installed - one has Vista installed on it and the other has Windows 7. I'm interested in discarding the Vista HD along with Vista, and only keeping Windows 7 and the HD it's on. I do not want the option of booting Vista. Only want 7.

When both HD's are connected (as they currently are now), upon booting up, I'm prompted whether I want to load Windows 7 or Vista. But when I disconnect the Vista drive (this is the scenario I'm interested in) I get the "No boot device available" message.

How do I establish the Win7 HD as a boot device?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

I get what you mean. Follow the instructions below and give me a screenshot of your Disk Management console please.

mYEYEX7.pngDisk Management Utility
Follow the instructions below to open the Disk Management Utility:
  • For Windows 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Manage (requires Admin Rights). From there, click on Disk Management in the left pane;
  • For Windows 8, bring the cursor in the bottom left-corner of the screen and wait for the metro preview to open, then right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • For Windows 8,1 bring the cursor on the Windows logo, right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • Open the window to its full size, then take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply;
mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png

#9 rushbikes

rushbikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

Attached.

Attached Files

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

I imagine that Disk 0 is Windows Vista, and Disk 1 is Windows 7, is that right? Right-click on E:, do you have an option "Mark as active"?

unite_blue.png

#11 rushbikes

rushbikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

Correct. C: is Vista. E: is Win7.

Yes, Mark Partition as Active.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

Alright, select "Mark it as active", now try to boot from it.

unite_blue.png

#13 rushbikes

rushbikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

Well, that did something... Now instead of No boot device available, I get "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

You don't have any bootmgr, that's why. Are you able to leave that hard drive connected, then insert the installation media and boot from it? You can use it to access the Recovery PE (by clicking on "Repair your computer"), and from there, opening the command prompt and using the bootrec /fixboot command to write a new boot sector that will be used to boot in your Windows 7.

http://www.7tutorials.com/command-prompt-fix-issues-your-boot-records

unite_blue.png

#15 rushbikes

rushbikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

Magic!! Booted from the Win 7 DVD and went through Startup Repair. All set.

Can't thank you enough for your expertise. Couldn't have done it without your guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users