Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to upgrade my graphics(laptop)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

Hi, i am Spencer,

Thank you for taking the time to read my topic and help me. I am a gamer and in 2012 i got a notebook laptop.(wasn't the most tech savvy person back then). Anyways i can't afford a high end gaming computer so i have to upgrade what i have. My Specs are

>Intel i5 2450 CPU

>Intel HD 3000 mobile graphics

>500GB of Hard Drive space

> 4GB of DDR3 RAM

>Windows 7 

Now what i want to do is somehow swap out the graphics. Is it possible? i have heard that Intel HD graphics are built into the CPU, than i heard that Intel HD graphics are built into the Motherboard, than i heard that Intel HD graphics are built into the CPU and the CPU is built into the motherboard. I don't know what is going on honestly. If i wan't to change the Graphics, do i have to get a new motherboard entirely? Or do i just have to get a better CPU with Graphics built in? How does this all work?

PS. My laptop is by Acer V3, just in case that's important. Oh and if you can recommend any software that can unlock more CPU, GPU, or RAM performance(if possible) let me know. i am trying to squeeze as much as i can from this thing.

Thank you

~Spencer

Edited by FU5R0D4H, 30 April 2015 - 02:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hello Spencer,  Unfortunately the simple answer is you are out of luck.  The laptop must be built around a discreet graphics card (not attached to the mainboard)  The intel graphics you are talking about is both built into the cpu and onto the mainboard.  There is no way to ' upgrade ' it.  An example of a laptop with a discreet graphics card would be companies like : MSI / Asus / Aorus / Sager / and Lenovo have models built around discreet graphics cards. 

Laptops are meant to be portable and not really upgradeable.  (although the above suggested models do have upgrade options)  I am 99% sure your laptop built in 2012 by Acer is not an ' upgradeable ' model.

Sorry to disappoint.

#3 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hello Spencer,  Unfortunately the simple answer is you are out of luck.  The laptop must be built around a discreet graphics card (not attached to the mainboard)  The intel graphics you are talking about is both built into the cpu and onto the mainboard.  There is no way to ' upgrade ' it.  An example of a laptop with a discreet graphics card would be companies like : MSI / Asus / Aorus / Sager / and Lenovo have models built around discreet graphics cards. 

Laptops are meant to be portable and not really upgradeable.  (although the above suggested models do have upgrade options)  I am 99% sure your laptop built in 2012 by Acer is not an ' upgradeable ' model.

Sorry to disappoint.

Can i replace the motherboard completely?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

Although it may be possible I wouldn't attempt it and I build computers (on the side) The cost of doing so would outweigh the cost- it would require new processor new memory new graphics card/ you'd be better off buying a low end gaming laptop from someplace like xoticpc.com.

#5 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

Although it may be possible I wouldn't attempt it and I build computers (on the side) The cost of doing so would outweigh the cost- it would require new processor new memory new graphics card/ you'd be better off buying a low end gaming laptop from someplace like xoticpc.com.

Alright. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. Have a great day!

#6 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

if you want gaming performance... go with a desktop... consistently upgradeable and ill put one together for you... just tell me the specs you want and ill find the parts with the best deal on amazon

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#7 CG_5

CG_5

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:21 AM

Hi there,

I would have to agree with the others on this one, there are not many options when it comes to customizing a laptop, generically they are not suited for it. If you'd like to get a better GPU then getting a desktop PC would be your best option.

#8 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:20 AM

if you want gaming performance... go with a desktop... consistently upgradeable and ill put one together for you... just tell me the specs you want and ill find the parts with the best deal on amazon

Thanks man, i do know how to build a computer myself, the thing is i just don't have the money. But thanks though

#9 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:23 AM

Hi there,

I would have to agree with the others on this one, there are not many options when it comes to customizing a laptop, generically they are not suited for it. If you'd like to get a better GPU then getting a desktop PC would be your best option.

I wan't a pc, but for now i am stuck with this. is there a chance i could add more RAM though?

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

You may be able to increase the RAM.. can you provide the exact model number for your laptop and we can look it up and see what it is capable of.

#11 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

You may be able to increase the RAM.. can you provide the exact model number for your laptop and we can look it up and see what it is capable of.

it is an Acer Aspire V3 - 571 with 4GB of ram

Edited by FU5R0D4H, 09 May 2015 - 07:20 PM.

#12 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

This upgrade pack will give you 2x4 GB for a total of 8GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users