Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vertical colourful lines on laptop display.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 magina

magina

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

I have a Lenovo y410 laptop which has a display issue. At first, there were flashing horizontal lines right after from the lenovo icon before system boot up. so I opened the device and checked around the internal connections and the flashing horizontal lines are gone but now there are very thin horizontal lines(dead pixels maybe) so that it has become very difficult to read texts with small fonts. And also after booting the system up there are many vertical colourful lines (the lines appear where the icons are, even the mouse pointer icon). The weirdest thing is the vertical lines are gone during video playback. I tried to take the screenshot of the screen using snipping tool and the image produced by it is perfectly clear. I'm sure this is not a driver or graphic chip issue as external monitor display is fine. what might be the cause? Is the LCD panel fried or is it the display cable or something else....please help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 magina

magina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:46 AM

Hello...anyone?

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

The fact that the effect does not occur on a video playback should lead us to rule out the LCD panel, which doesn't get any different signal between video and a desktop, but are the horizontal dead pixel lines also absent on video material?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 magina

magina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

The video playback is also a bit pixelated...

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

The LVDS cable carrying the signal to the LCD is a candidate, especially the connectors. They are sensitive to any tarnish on the contacts and a polish up or application of a quality electronic contact cleaner can clear things up.

It is still possible for a fault in video chip or video memory to create a problem like this, as a different section of the chip and memory are used for internal screen drive and external. Video can appear clean as it's injected as an overlay directly into the feed to the LCD. But if video isn't completely clean, more likely LVDS or internal LCD fault.

Edited by Platypus, 01 May 2015 - 06:24 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 magina

magina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Thanks man, I'll try replacing the cable and report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users