Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my daughter's tortured device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nomad3000

nomad3000

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

My daughter is hell on cell phones. Her refurbed samsung galaxy sIII is slowing down, and the battery is toast. I'm trying to help her regain SOME functionality because replacing the phone with a new device is not an option.

My questions:
  • Does anyone have suggestions about finding out the safest way of getting rid of worthless apps, or shutting them down permanently?
  • Should I take the phone in to the shop and have them look at it for suggestions?
  • She has a ton of photos -- I want her to remove them (dropbox, etc) -- will that lightened load help the phone stabilize a bit more?
Finally, do apps like CCleaner work on cell phones, and are they worth the effort? 

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Edit: Topic moved from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ShouldAt3

ShouldAt3

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

1) You should do factory reset. It will delete everything from phone, so backup some important files, pics or notes that you dont want to erase. It should be on settings-backup and reset-factory data reset.

2) If you want someone to do that work for you, sure you can take it to the shop.
3) Dropbox is cloud storage so that shouldn't be a problem, only if she downloading things to her phone. In that case, dont let her use dropbox.

CCleaner is good app, i use it for fast cleaning. You should try it.

#3 Chibifoxkit

Chibifoxkit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

ShouldAt3 is correct, however there are some other things you can try before setting a factory reset on it. I'm assuming by this time you've already done some things but here are a few more tips that should help out.

If she's using the GSIII, then you should try clearing out your system RAM as well; this can be done by holding down the start button until your open apps appear, make sure those are closed as well, then click the small pie chart. In the options you should see RAM in there and the tab will have the option to clear it. If she's having battery problems, unless she got it wet, it may not be her fault entirelly. She could have a malware infection or bad patch installed. This can be fixed by either using an anti-malware app or if you think it's the case of a bad update, then you can rollback and set it not to update without your permission.

The easiest way to uninstall a program is again visiting the pie char and you'll see an uninstall tab, you can safely remove it from there. 

I personally use Google Drive over dropbox due to the quicker speed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users