Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeated laptop BSOD, every time I unplug the power cable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 overseastom

overseastom

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

Hiya y'all. So, about my laptop: I recently installed an SSD as the OS drive, and decided to wipe the original hard-drive, and then put it back into the laptop, in the space previously occupied by my rarely-used DVD drive. If I now unplug the laptop's power cable while the machine is on, the mouse-buttons and Explorer become unresponsive, followed by a BSOD after maybe a minute. I never tested if the laptop worked on battery power alone after any intermediate step (just after getting the SSD up and running, but still having the DVD drive in), so I'm not sure what part of the chain has given it trouble, and I was wondering if you guys & gals could help me get it working on battery power again. I tried changing the power options (Power Saving, High Performance), and it did nothing to prevent BSOD.

Is it possible that having 2 hard drives is just demanding too much power from the aging battery? Or is it more likely to be an driver-conflict? What do you suggest - if it's easier to try unplugging the HDD and putting the DVD drive back in first, I'm down to do so, but if I'm able to have the two drives in my laptop, it'd be great! I've attached my laptop specs, generated using Speccy. Thanks in advance for any help! Cheers,

Tom

Attached File  T-LAPTOP.txt   384.57KB   1 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2015 - 10:23 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 overseastom

overseastom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:48 AM

Dang - no replies :( Well, I've since removed the extra HDD that was in the DVD bay, and replaced it with the original DVD drive, and it works on battery power again, making me think it's just a power issue - that is, that the laptop battery alone can't power two separate harddrives (a SSD and an HDD, in this case). Anyone replying with any more info or tests I could try, to determine if I can use both drives would be much appreciated!

Edit: btw, the laptop is an Acer Aspire 5750 (Precisely, the 5750-2438G50Mnkk). 

Edited by overseastom, 05 May 2015 - 09:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users