Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So here's a new one...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ViolentNeurosis

ViolentNeurosis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

About 3 months ago, I had a most unusual problem... one I had never experienced or even really heard of.

I'm using a Samsung ATIV Book 4... it had Windows 8 pre-installed, and I unfortunately upgraded to Windows 8.1 via Windows Store. Not long after that, I had the same performance issues many have had, as well as a few driver issues... and brightness issues...anyway, I eventually just accepted it after scouring the web for possible solutions. One night, I was working on a project in FL Studio 11 (64-Bit), and out of nowhere, everything completely froze. The audio stream I was working with continued to play properly, but NOTHING else responded at all... so, I had to just power off. After restarting the laptop, nothing showed up at all. Tried again 3 more times, and finally the Samsung logo appeared, as did the offbeat loading circle... but it hung for about 20 minutes.

I was not able to boot into Windows 8.1, as I had fallen into the also well-known disk repair loop, which would take about 10 minutes, restart, and repeat. I ended up having to create a rescue USB drive via Easeus' data recovery tool, via my fiancee's laptop. However, my entire hard disk was no longer partitioned. It was an unallocated partition that spanned the entire 500GB... I didn't format, and luckily I was able to recover the "rogue" partitions... 994732 hours later. Nothing was lost at all, thank f*ck. After going through the painfully slow process of transferring files from my laptop's primary partition 16GB at a time with flash drives, Then I just deleted all partitions, installed Windows 8.1 from a flash drive, and everything was peachy. I was finally able to see Windows 8.1 run as you would think it should. No constant disk activity, no blank screen upon booting Windows, no driver snags, nothing...

As I said, this was around 3 months ago, and in that time I've seen the gradual return of these issues. I've been cautious when installing programs, kept a watchful eye on startups and any suspicious processes running, checked the list of services to make sure nothing is randomly disabled, maintained security with antvirus and spyware utilities, and I'm coming up clueless again as to why these issues are so damn resilient, except for one thing... Hard disk issues...

I know this seems like a no-brainer, as disk failures can cause havoc in a variety of ways. Until recently, I had the invalid index $i30 at file xxxxx error which is repairable, but returned upon reboot. I've got no bad sectors, and I'm not having random data loss/corruption. For the past month, the index entry error has been nowhere to be found, strangely enough. 

I'm at a loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users