Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Ultimate Question

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cooger234

cooger234

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

I'm trying to install a new Hard Drive in my system.  I have printed out all of the Bleeping Comp.

tutorials (8) pages, and I think I understand it, but all I have to start is the Windows Vista Home

Premium 32 Bit Reinstallation DVD.  After I install that, how will I get Ultimate installed?

I do have a Product Key, but don't have any DVD for Ultimate.

PS:  I am typing this (very slowly I might add), on the computer that will be changed.  A little afraid

to take out the Hard Drive, because I don't know if I'll be able to put it back in if necessary and it

will still be the same as it is right now.

Thanks for any advice, please be sort of specific,

Cooger234

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Hi cooger234 :)

Since the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor has been discontinued, you won't be able to use it to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate. For starters, if you want to install Vista Ultimate, you'll need the installation media for it (USB or CD/DVD). How come you have the product key, but not the installation media?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 cooger234

cooger234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Aura thanks for response.  It's been a while, but if I remember correctly it was downloaded and they

provided me with the Key via an email.   I use Belarc Advisor, and that printout shows the Key.

I've looked around ebay and Amazon and there seem to be some Boxed Ultimates available, but I'm 

a little leery about that.

By the way, I do have an Ultimate Complete Backup on an external drive so I'm ready to go except for

my stated problem.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:34 AM

Do you still have that email with the download link for Windows Vista Ultimate? If so, I guess they are making you download an image file (.iso) and you could burn it to a CD/DVD or make a USB bootable with it in order to create an installation media.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 cooger234

cooger234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

I'll have to look around my files for that, chances are good that I do.  This may

take a while so, I'll have to get back on line after I have the answer.  Thanks again,

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

No problem cooger. Once you have the link and image downloaded, I'll post further instructions.

unite_blue.png

#7 cooger234

cooger234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

Aura,   It didn't take too long,

The email says that the Upgrade was 'Electronic'  so that sounds like a download to me.

There are two links - don't know what they do  so I guess I can try them, but will wait to see

what you suggest.  Thanks again

customerservice@NA.WindowsAnytimeUpgradeStore.com

and

www.windowsanytimeupgrade.com/digitallocker

In case neither of these is any good, do you have any thoughts about purchasing one of

the Ebay or Amazon packages.  They look authentic but who knows?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

The first link is an email address, so this isn't what we're looking for. The second link points back the Downloads section of Microsoft website, which has been updated for Windows 8.1. Judging from the URL name, this website was used when the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor was still in use, but it's now discontinued. You can't use this link to get the Windows Vista Ultimate .iso anymore. Plus, we aren't allowed to link Windows .iso on BleepingComputer, it's against the rules. You'll need to obtain the installation media another way sadly. And I never bought from Ebay or Amazon, so I cannot tell. Usually, if you buy from a "top buyer" that is a Microsoft Authorized Reseller, it is legitimate.

unite_blue.png

#9 cooger234

cooger234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

OK, thanks for the help.  I've bought some things through ebay, and use PayPal so I'll give one of the

packages a shot.  PayPal and ebay have good controls in place and basically guarantee the products,

at any rate thanks for the patience with this 81 yr old, your questions made me use my brain which is

always good. Take care,  Cooger234

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

No problem cooger. If you need help during the installation or after the installation, feel free to create a new thread in this section to receive the appropriate assistance :)

unite_blue.png

#11 cooger234

cooger234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

I had a discussion with Aura yesterday, don't know how to access it today.

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2015 - 02:52 PM.
Moved from Introductions to Vista - Hamluis.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hi again cooger :)

Here's your thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/574838/vista-ultimate-question/

To access the threads you subscribe to, simply click on your username in the top right-corner, and select Content I Follow. You automatically subscribe to a thread you create or post in, except if you change that setting in your user control panel.

unite_blue.png

#13 cooger234

cooger234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:23 PM

Aura,   I actually did have the Ultimate DVD, must have asked for it after I did the Upgrade download.

At any rate here is where I am

I installed the new Hard Drive and inserted the Vista Home Premium DVD and got everything started,

then I inserted the Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD and installed Vista Ultimate.

It runs OK and I can access the Welcome Center but can't seem to get into the Windows Recovery

Environment.

I've tried the Boot Process tapping F8 after the BIOS info clears, I've also tried rebooting with

the DVDs (actually both of them) and I never get Figure 1.

I have a feeling I may have done some wrong step early in the process. When I inserted the first DVD

and got to Figure 3 of the process,  I clicked the Install Now arrow instead of Repair Your computer.

I don't remember seeing Figure 4 or 5.  Is there any way to start over???

I haven't been able to get back to that to try and correct it.  Any thoughts??

Sorry about that, super senior moment. 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:32 PM

Can you link me the tutorial you're following, so I'll know exactly which steps you're referring to?

unite_blue.png

#15 cooger234

cooger234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

Aura,  Sorry about that! 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-complete-pc-restore/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users