Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In bluetooth settings... What is SCMS-T content protection?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Star_Slight

Star_Slight

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:02 AM

Hello so i'm just looking over my bluetooth settings and i noticed an option that i'm not aware of... under the audio tab in settings there's a option that says "connect to an audio device only if it supports SCMS-T content protection"

What does this mean and should i have the box checked or unchecked?

Running Windows 7, 64-bIt

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:41 AM

Hi Star_Slight :)

Looks like it have something to do with copy protection, file integrity and maybe the copyright of a file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Copy_Management_System
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43920/~/what-is-scms-t-content-protection-method%3F

Trying to understand what it means right now but it's quite confusing. From what I do understand right now, if you leave it checked, there might be connection issues with some devices, if they aren't SCMS-ready, so I would leave it unchecked.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

SCMS-T protects the contents transmitted on Bluetooth wireless technology.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Edited by Star_Slight, 03 May 2015 - 01:21 PM.

#5 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

Hi Star_Slight :)

Looks like it have something to do with copy protection, file integrity and maybe the copyright of a file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Copy_Management_System
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43920/~/what-is-scms-t-content-protection-method%3F

Trying to understand what it means right now but it's quite confusing. From what I do understand right now, if you leave it checked, there might be connection issues with some devices, if they aren't SCMS-ready, so I would leave it unchecked.

SCMS-T protects the contents transmitted on Bluetooth wireless technology.

Ok, thanks to you both for your replies.

I'll leave it unchecked for now, otherwise i might encounter connection issues like you say.  :)

Edited by Star_Slight, 03 May 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

No problem Star_Slight, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 TheTexasRAT

TheTexasRAT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:05 AM

Hello so i'm just looking over my bluetooth settings and i noticed an option that i'm not aware of... under the audio tab in settings there's a option that says "connect to an audio device only if it supports SCMS-T content protection"

What does this mean and should i have the box checked or unchecked?

Running Windows 7, 64-bIt

Thanks.

The following page seems to suggest turning it on so that you will be able to listen to music that is SCMS-T encoded. Otherwise you will not be able to listen to it. As far as other stuff goes it should do just fine. I do not think it has anything to do with devises that you hook to, just the music files only. So if you come across a music file that has SCMS-T inscription and you have the setting turned off then you will not be able to listen to it, or at least that is the way it seems. As others have mentioned this is a vague subject for sure.  But after reading more it would seem disablying it is the best option according to the later links below.

~EDIT~ my bad for giving the wrong link, but I did not think it was answered very well, and as I was going through this very thing I thought to try and help add clarity by what I was finding. Not so sure that it clarifies anything other than giving some ways to remedy issues one may have because of it.

I meant to post a page that gave instructions:

http://www.mediastic.biz/installation-guide/

But having tried to go back and re-find the sites I also have now found the following:

Bluetooth Headset Troubleshooting: SCMS-T Error Message
Question

I was able to pair and connect to my headset successfully, but when I tried to play music, I received the following error message: "You cannot connect to a device that is not copyright protected by SCMS-T method."

Answer

SCMS (Serial Copy Management System) is a type of “digital rights management” that can be implemented at the option of the Bluetooth software provider (e.g., Toshiba). It is a method of enforcement that is used for recordable audio CDs that allows only one copy of the original to be made. Plantronics products do not support the SCMS standard.

Note: Some versions of Bluetooth software will give you the option during installation to choose whether or not you want to support SCMS. If you choose not to support it, you will not be able to stream music without getting the error message.  http://www.plantronics.com/asia/support/kb/detail.jsp?vfurl=/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/RN8345&retURL=%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2FHow_To%2FRN18963&region=asia&p=115&c=All&k=&t=&lang=en_US&popup=false

And here supposedly is a registry hack for Windows 7 PCs:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t508675-scms_t_blocks_bluetooth_pairing_headset

While other say if you can not turn it off then cut the wire going to it:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/gear-reviews-and-questions/scms-turn-off-24745/

Edited by TheTexasRAT, 18 June 2015 - 07:26 AM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

TheTexasRAT, this thread has been answered already and your URL just point to this thread.

unite_blue.png

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users