Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Dummy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Autodidact7

Autodidact7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:18 PM

I hope this question is permitted.  I am 65 yrs. old, retired, and I am very, very, computer illiterate.  I would like to learn much more about computers.  I have recently purchased a CompTIA A+ guide to PCs text by Schmidt, c. 2012; I have no intention of pursuing certification - but, I do desire to learn more about computers.  My system is a 5 yr. old DELL with Windows 7.  This site was reccommended to me by a supergeek. 

Plz advise me of resources to investigate (without charge) to increase my knoledge about computers.  I am not able to afford textbooks, with the exception of the above text, or enroll in college courses.  Also, I am studing tutorials from a CompTia A+ w/s, as well as studying tutorials about hardware by codesand.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Jim

Edited by computerxpds, 29 April 2015 - 08:30 PM.
Email removed to protect user from spambots

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

G'day Jim, and :welcome: to BC !!

(you will find the edit button beside the multiquote button in the bottom right hand corner of your post......click on the edit button and remove your email address....much safer for you )

You have come to the right place to learn....personally I believe in the hands on approach. On THIS page, click on a forum that interests you.....eg...windows 7.....that will open to THIS page   .......on the top right hand side, you will see a box with "Follow this Forum "  written in it.   If you click on that and then click in the confirmation box it will send emails to your email inbox each time a new topic is opened in windows 7.

If you are interested in any of these topics....look for the  box in the right hand upper side, and click on it and the confirmation as well. Each time a reply is made to this topic...you will receive an email...and that will continue for as long as the topic is 'live'.

Choose as many or as few Forums as you like....if one starts to fall outside your interest area.....return to THIS page, and click on "unfollow this forum"....and the emails will stop.

Practise navigating around the site. The more familiar you are with the various forums and pages etc etc the more you will learn.

Following and reading the various topics is one of the fastest ways to learn.

Good luck,

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Autodidact7

Autodidact7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:23 AM

G'day Jim, and :welcome: to BC !!

(you will find the edit button beside the multiquote button in the bottom right hand corner of your post......click on the edit button and remove your email address....much safer for you )

You have come to the right place to learn....personally I believe in the hands on approach. On THIS page, click on a forum that interests you.....eg...windows 7.....that will open to THIS page   .......on the top right hand side, you will see a box with "Follow this Forum "  written in it.   If you click on that and then click in the confirmation box it will send emails to your email inbox each time a new topic is opened in windows 7.

If you are interested in any of these topics....look for the  box in the right hand upper side, and click on it and the confirmation as well. Each time a reply is made to this topic...you will receive an email...and that will continue for as long as the topic is 'live'.

Choose as many or as few Forums as you like....if one starts to fall outside your interest area.....return to THIS page, and click on "unfollow this forum"....and the emails will stop.

Practise navigating around the site. The more familiar you are with the various forums and pages etc etc the more you will learn.

Following and reading the various topics is one of the fastest ways to learn.

Good luck,

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users