Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7.. Sony Vaio., Randomly Clicking & videos freeze/stutter

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MistyC

MistyC

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hi! I was sent over here from the Virus Forum.. Here is the latest link to my recent posts..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573862/windows-7-sony-vaio-randomly-zooming-in-and-out-clicking-things/

My PC is randomly clicking things. I can have the mouse pad off (it stays off) and even the mouse unplugged.. and we will come back to the PC and things will be opened up.. I recorded a video of it to try & show the next issue.. But the PC kept clicking so the video couldnt play enough to demonstrate the other issue... There is no set time limit, its not like it is every 5 minutes or anything. Doesnt matter if I am on the internet, or just on my PC. it does it in Safe mode as well. 

The other thing it does is when I am watching a video it will stutter and freeze. 

Here is the Speccy link to my PC... 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Opu5LZ35kgGk4IzhV2pG5VW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

Can I get the exact model numbers of the Sony Vaio?

It may be a combination of issues. It could be a stuck or sticking key on your keyboard, sometimes running your finger over all keys or tapping each key a few times will "unstick" the key for a short period of time. This may fix your auto clicking issue.

As for the mouse moving around on it's own, I have only seen this happen with a hacker (virus or software related which it seems was ruled out) or bad hardware, a few times with touch pads but surprisingly often with "pointing stick" mice. The model number might help here.

From your speccy report, the only thing that caught my eye was your hard drive SMART data is showing the early signs of failure, even though these attributes say "good" that does not always mean the drive is in good shape:

C5
Attribute name: Current Pending Sector Count
Real value: 2
Current: 100
Worst: 100
Threshold: 0
Raw Value: 0000000002

C6
Attribute name: Uncorrectable Sector Count
Real value: 2
Current: 100
Worst: 100
Threshold: 0
Raw Value: 0000000002

You can read more about SMART data here, pay attention to the lines that are highlighted red which correspond to the records from your hard drive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

The hard drive may be completely unrelated to the mouse issue or random clicking, but certainly could be linked to your random freezing issues.

Please run the following tests:

Please download GSmartControl and save it to your Desktop.

• Extract gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip to a folder, double-click on gsmartcontrol.exe
  • A list of hard drives will appear, single-click each disk to see Drive Information and identify your drive
    note: most machines will only have one or two entries, but an easy way to identify your drive is by its size.
  • Double-click on the hard drive to see detailed Device Information
  • Click on the Attributes tab, do you see any red or pink entries like the ones below? Please list the names in your next reply if there are any.
    info_failing.png
  • Click on the Perform Tests tab
  • Select Extended Self-Test and click Execute
    note: this test can take several hours to run
  • Allow the test to complete, the results will be displayed at the bottom

Please post screenshots of three tabs: Perform Tests, Attributes and Self-test Logs in your next reply.

Edited by zingo156, 30 April 2015 - 03:54 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:14 AM

ok the model number is VPCEH15FX

And I am including the first picture showing the attributes. I am running the test as soon as I am done posting this. Ty for your help!!

Attached File  1.png   529.77KB   0 downloads

#4 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:23 AM

Ok I can not run the test.. I get this error:

2.png

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

For now we won't worry about the hard drive test.

Using your model number, it does not look like you have a "pointing stick" which makes it more rare that a touchpad will have issues but it does still happen.

Let's try to test that keyboard and mouse (buttons) using: http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm

Click the "Download now" link and install the software, open the program and click continue (free for 30 days). Then you can see what key presses and mouse presses happen. Maybe we can locate the problem using this. The keys that are pressed should light up or become colored in the program. If you do not press a key and it becomes highlighted, we can assume that key is "pressing" on it's own.

That software reports the same as speccy, you have 2 uncorrectable blocks and 2 pending blocks. These are considered critical SMART errors. Due to these issues, I would recommend frequent backups of important data to another storage device if you wish to continue using this hard drive. Drives with critical SMART errors have a much higher failure rate than those which have no errors. The other option would be replacing the hard drive which IMO is the best choice if you wish to continue using the computer. Drives with bad blocks may cause a computer to freeze, have file corruptions, fail to install software, BSOD etc. I will say before worrying about this, we should get to the bottom of your random clicking / mouse movement issue which may or may not be related to the drive.

We can get around a hard drive or OS related issue by using a CD/DVD or USB bootable version of linux. I generally use Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Cinnamon 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the Cinnamon desktop

You can use either version 32 or 64.

Basically download Linux Mint, burn it to a disc or create a bootable flash drive and boot to linux instead of windows.

If all of the same random clicking issues and freezing happen in linux, we can say without a doubt it is hardware related.

Edited by zingo156, 01 May 2015 - 07:23 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

ok I did the keyboard thing.. of course it did not do it.. Tried it plugged up, not plugged up.. plugged up but turned off.. It did eventually do it again and I was able to turn on the Keyboard test. It is my left mouse button clicking itself. I even turned the mouse off and it kept doing it. It was not until I unplugged it that it stopped clicking. Got a new mouse.. Same issue. I even tried multiple ports to plug in the dongle. I just got cds to try the Linux thing.. off to do that tomorrow. Just wanted to update you & ty for all your help.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

Is there anyway to disable the built in touch pad or buttons using the FN key and a F1-F12 key, or is there a direct on/off button? You might be able to disconnect the built in touch pad / mouse buttons from the motherboard (this would require taking the computer apart).

Definitely give linux a try just in case there is some strange issue in windows. At the moment it does sound hardware related (touch pad or mouse buttons).

Edited by zingo156, 05 May 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#8 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

Yeah the touchpad is totally turned off.. I believe I found all the options for the touchpad as well & turned them all off.. 

#9 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

ok went onto the Linux platform (which I LOVE) and it did it so badly there that I could hardly do anything. We are shopping for a new harddrive now... We will need a new Windows 7 disc as my PC did not come with any discs.. Is there a cheap place I could buy one that you guys could recommend? Ty so much for helping me figure out what was going on!

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

I buy windows discs from Amazon or Newegg.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

Also I am more concerned with these two SMART attributes:

The first one being a count of how many times the hard drive detected a bad crc but was unable to correct the problem.  Most likely you have quite a few files on that drive that are ' unreadable'

The second being  25billion command timeouts? WOW---

This is the count of how many times the system requested data from the drive and the drive was unable to make the request.

This drive is on it's way out.

BB
Attribute name: 
Reported Uncorrectable Errors
Real value: 
Current: 
Worst: 
Threshold: 
Raw Value: 
000000FFFF
Good

BC
Attribute name: 
Command Timeout
Real value: 
Current: 
Worst: 
Threshold: 
Raw Value: 
00000602A6
Good

Edited by YeahBleeping, 06 May 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

ok went onto the Linux platform (which I LOVE) and it did it so badly there that I could hardly do anything. We are shopping for a new harddrive now... We will need a new Windows 7 disc as my PC did not come with any discs.. Is there a cheap place I could buy one that you guys could recommend? Ty so much for helping me figure out what was going on!

This will rule out the hard drive as the cause of the auto clicking. This means you have a bad touchpad or mouse button. Or possibly a problem with your USB controller since most mice (including the built in touchpad) connect to a USB controller.

Before replacing the hard drive (though I would recommend this as well), we need to figure out what exactly is causing the automatic clicking.

Edited by zingo156, 07 May 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#13 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

I would love to figure out the auto clicking thing. it is VERY frustrating.. I already went through the malware route as that was the first thing that hit my mind.. Any suggestions? We are now shopping for the hard drive & going to try & find a decent priced disc.. 

Thank you so much for your help!!

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:01 AM

If the keyboard test showed it was the left mouse button, then somehow either the built in mouse button is clicking, the touchpad itself is clicking, an external mouse you have plugged in is clicking, or lastly you have an issue with your USB controller.

If it were me, I would take the computer apart and disconnect the built in touchpad / mouse buttons. They should be on the same ribbon cable.

Sony computers were not always easy to take apart, if you have no experience taking one apart, I would probably recommend at this point you take it to a local computer repair shop and have them look at it.

Most likely a mouse button is worn out and is causing the clicking.

We can be 100% certain that it is hardware related since in Linux you had the same issue, Linux should be free of Malware, and would not be running from the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users