Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Determining Original Manufacturer Of Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RealMenChewGum

RealMenChewGum

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Specs:

Vidcard: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) 512 MB
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU     E6750  @ 2.66GHz, 2664 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Mem: 4GB ram (Patriot)
HD: WDC WD5000AAJS-00TKA0 ATA Device 500GB
Mobo: ASUS P5K-E
PSU: Antec EA500 500W ATX12v v 2.2 80 PLUS

Over the past week or so, my graphics card has stopped functioning. It can still run basic programs, but any time it is stressed at all (ie. gaming, media, etc.) the comp completely freezes up (and somehow takes down the whole local network with it, which is an extremely befuddling issue, but not what I'm trying to address here). The card was originally purchased new through a reseller on Ebay. I looked up the warranty and it appears I should be able to get it replaced.

To clarify, I went through many steps to verify that the graphics card was the issue. I first reformatted my computer, then ran diagnostics on everything (memory, cpu, hd) that came up negative. When I ran a GPU stress test all the visuals were choppy and it froze a couple of times. I also monitored CPU and GPU temps while running this test, and they were fine throughout, so it isn't simply an ineffective fan issue or something like that.

Going through Nvidia's support site, they say you need to directly contact the card manufacturer in order to get a replacement/utilize the warranty. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me seem to figure out who the original manufacturer was. I looked over the whole physical card and wrote down every number that seemed like it could be a model # or some kind of identifier. The first thing I tried was the FCC ID. Unfortunately, the number is partially smudged out due to wear, so I had to make my best guess. The only result that turned up was VTEK, which isn't listed on Nvidia's site as a manufacturer of their cards (here's that list: http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html). After that, I tried searching pretty much every number I could find as a model # but have yet to have any success. So, essentially, I'm looking for someone who has another way to determine the manufacturer of my graphics card, or any other ideas that might help me out.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:57 PM

Are the first 3 or 5 letters legible on the FCC id? If so what are they. Unfortunately to get the manufacturer you will need the FCC ID. The vendor ID in Windows is the manufacturer of the chipset.

#3 DDK65JAG

DDK65JAG

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

VTEK might be shorthand for Visiontek, they manufacture video cards.

Good luck.

#4 RealMenChewGum

RealMenChewGum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

The first 3 characters appear to be F39, but I can't make it out for sure.

This code is what brings of VTEK (Visiontek). But, again, VTEK isn't listed on Nvidia's site as one of their manufacturers.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

Tweaking.com's Hardware Identify might help.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

I went here and did a search of Vtek and Visiontek under Applicant name and did not come up with anything graphic card related.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm?calledFromFrame=N

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

you can get speccy from the download section here, and it will tell you the OEM (subvendor) of the card.

Edited by synergy513, 29 April 2015 - 04:53 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 RealMenChewGum

RealMenChewGum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

This has been resolved. It turns out the warranty is in fact void. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users