Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thoughts on a Password Manager?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hunnybunny

hunnybunny

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

I lost a lot of contact data several months ago and the effort to replace everything was quite painful, especially creating new passwords. Thinking back I wonder if having a password manager may have made life easier.

Would appreciate any suggestions and insights on the topic.

Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

Hello there,

For a password manager, I suggest using LastPass. It is available as an addon for both Firefox and Chrome, uses good encryption, easy to use and very convenient.

Just my two cents :)

Regards,
Alex

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

I would also go with LastPass. I've been using it for around 6 months now and its one of the best decision I've ever made. Really easy to manage, lot of options, you can even secure it with 2FA and the premium version gives you the Android/iOS application. I'm using premium and it integrates itself really well with Android. There's also other solutions, local ones like KeePass, but you have to be a bit more manual in order to configure them. However it have an Android application and also a Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox plugins. You can look onto both solutions and see which one you like. LastPass for desktop is free, and KeePass is free and open-source.

Edited by Aura., 29 April 2015 - 02:21 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

Based on your suggestions, I'll look into both options B) - TY! :thumbup2:

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

No problem let us know if you have any questions :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

Just to be different, I have been using KeePass version 2 which also has a compatible Android and ios version as well. I originally stared with version 1 a few years ago and then last year made the change to version 2. Both work well for my needs. I do prefer a few features that version 2 has. That are not in version 1.

http://keepass.info/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

Just to be different, I have been using KeePass version 2 which also has a compatible Android and ios version as well. I originally stared with version 1 a few years ago and then last year made the change to version 2. Both work well for my needs. I do prefer a few features that version 2 has. That are not in version 1.

http://keepass.info/

Noted. :flowers:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

You may want to read these links to two recent lenghty discussion topics we had in in regards to passwords and security.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

You may want to read these links to two recent lenghty discussion topics we had in in regards to passwords and security.

The additional reference is appreciated quietman7.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

Not a problem.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

The safest password manager is a pencil, a pad of paper and a locked safe. If you must store passwords anywhere outside your head then storing them in non-electronic form is the safest way, the threat of someone with physical access to the room in which your safe is placed being able to pick it's lock and then having the motivation to steal your passwords, if they even realise what the random words in the notebook are, is much lower than the threat of someone being able to break into your computer remotely from anywhere on earth, read your passwords from an electronic password manager and then use them to access your online accounts.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

rp88, you cannot access a password manager's vault without the master password. Even if you gained access to the vault, without the master password it'll be a bunch of encrypted strings that make no meaning whatsoever.

So if you are going to use an electronic password manager, keep the master password safe - use only confirmed clean machines to open the vault, do not share it with anyone, and don't use it in public.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

rp88, you cannot access a password manager's vault without the master password. Even if you gained access to the vault, without the master password it'll be a bunch of encrypted strings that make no meaning whatsoever.

This exactly. And like I mentionned above, LastPass also have a 2FA feature you can enable for additional security. LastPass is also automatically set to close the connexion everytime you close your web browser, so you have to re-enter your password everytime. So security-sided, accessing a password manager vault (at least, LastPass' one) is pretty secure.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

The safest password manager is a pencil, a pad of paper and a locked safe.

I can go one better.

1. Disconnect from all wired and wireless network connections (Ethernet, Bluetooth, Infrared, Router, Wifi, Cable Satellite, Modem)
2. Remove all CD/DVD-ROM/DVD-RAM drives (and floppy disk/zip drive if you still have one).
3. Carefully super glue or expoxy shut ALL other connectors, especially Firewire/USB ports and Ethernet cable port. Advanced users can use high grade solder instead.
4. Hide the computer in an safe place where no other users have access and it will not be prone to any dreaded dust bunny attacks.

No passwords necessary when taking the above steps. :whistle:

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •