Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I wanted to multiboot for windows but new OS overlapped the previous one

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PatFerry

PatFerry

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

I had windows 7 ultimate running on my machine, I wanted to multiboot with Windows 8 pro . As I started windows 8 pro setup , throughout the process it didn't ask for destination (or drive) to install new window on, it simply goes on & after the completion, I figured out it installed on the c drive on which I had Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I am Hamza

I am Hamza

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

Did you even have a spare drive or partition for it?

#3 I am Hamza

I am Hamza

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

When you hit Install Now on the installer, it will ask if you want to Upgrade or if you want to do a Custom Install, you should've pressed custom install, there you can choose and edit your drives and partitions and also choose where you want to install it

#4 PatFerry

PatFerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

thank you Hamza for the reply.

I do have a spare drive (even Hard disk, which I use to store data only 2TB; Secondary & the one I use to install OS 500gb; Primary).

After hitting Install, it didn't ask much of the setting, it restarts couple of time.

The disk partition I had Win7 installed on was around 82+ GB (c drive), I made another 80+ GB (d drive) for the new win8 OS. [Though 30gb is enough for the OS but I didn't want to be worried for the years to come so I allocated more room anyways]

If I can provide any info. which might require, please let me know.

By the way, Before win8 installation, the c drive was 55+gb free out of 82+gb (with programs installed i.e.; around 27gb used).

Now After win8 installation, it still show about 55gb free out of 82gb, which made me thnk that win7 might me recovered. and yes I opted for keeping files while installing the win8. (if this helps !)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:42 PM

Hi PatFerry :)

It would be useful if we could get a screenshot of how your disks and partitions looks like right now. Follow the instructions below please.

mYEYEX7.pngDisk Management Utility
Follow the instructions below to open the Disk Management Utility:
  • For Windows 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Manage (requires Admin Rights). From there, click on Disk Management in the left pane;
  • For Windows 8, bring the cursor in the bottom left-corner of the screen and wait for the metro preview to open, then right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • For Windows 8,1 bring the cursor on the Windows logo, right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • Open the window to its full size, then take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply;
mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 PatFerry

PatFerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:38 AM

Hello Aura. Thanks for your reply.

I attached the screenshot of disk management.

there, C, D, E are the (3) drives of the first hard disk, which is of 512 GB. 

and G, H, I are the (3) drives are of Second Hard disk, which is of 2 TB.

I especially made D drive for second OS, that is win8, but during setup it didn't ask for installation destination and just installed on the current system drive that is C drive.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   82.19KB   0 downloads

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:19 AM

And now, when you boot your computer, you just have the option to boot in Windows 8, and not Windows 7, is that right? You could try to use EasyBCD free to create a BCD that will handle both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 PatFerry

PatFerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:40 PM

And now, when you boot your computer, you just have the option to boot in Windows 8, and not Windows 7, is that right? You could try to use EasyBCD free to create a BCD that will handle both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

I'm currently using windows 8.1 (the OS I installed mistakenly on c drive which is working with no issues), The real question is Can I reinstall (or roll-back) or get to previous state of win7 on my C drive with all the data intact by deleting win8 which is mistakenly installed.

I like to install win8 on another drive i.e.; D drive (which is now empty.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

You cannot rollback an installation and restore data that was deleted during the process sadly, no. You can try to use free data recovery tools to recover the deleted data, but none of them will guarantee that they can recover everything, if anything at all.

unite_blue.png

#10 PatFerry

PatFerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

You cannot rollback an installation and restore data that was deleted during the process sadly, no. You can try to use free data recovery tools to recover the deleted data, but none of them will guarantee that they can recover everything, if anything at all.

Yes I understand, I have formatted system drive & freshly install win7 (which is on C drive)

But here's a ques., I've partitioned 100gb for C drive & 100gb for D drive.

My win7 is installed now in C drive. If I want to install win8 as multiboot, do I need to 'shrink' the C drive to install or I can install on D drive also (i.e;  C drive 100gb for win7 and D Drive 100gb for win8).

But when I try to initiate the process of installing 2nd OS, i.e; wind8, it didn't ask to select the drive to install (in this case I want to install win8 in D Drive separately)

ir just starts on installing in C Drive.

What precautions I need to take to do it correctly.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

You can keep your current setup. The only precaution you have to take is to pick a "Custom" installation. When you pick that installation mode, it will ask you on which partition you want to install Windows 8. This way, you can select the free 100GB partition and install Windows 8 on it. If you have issues with the BCD after, you can use EasyBCD Free Edition to create a custom BCD that have Windows 7 and Windows 8.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users