Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One user profile will suddenly grind to a halt while others are running fine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tpot1

tpot1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

I have a Windows 7 professional 64bit desktop PC. Intel Core 2 quad, 1TB disk SATA2 (plenty of free space) , 8GB Ram DDR2.

I generally access the machine over remote desktop and always have.

I have a few user profiles defined but I have a problem with profile 'terry'. It can be running fine for a few days and then suddenly run so slowly that is can't render the screen completely over several hours.

Whilst in this state, if I attempt to log on directly at the PC and not remotely it sits at the 'welcome' message with a wait cursor forever.

What is confusing is this: Whilst in this state, if I log on remotely using another user, 'kate', everything is fine for that profile.

CPU is at 30% with csrss.exe running at 25%.

Resource monitor tells me that disk IO is low and response times are sub 50ms

From task manager I can see that terry is logged in but disconnected and that kate is logged in and active. Exactly as I would expect.

If I disconnect from kate and connect as terry I see the same problem as before.

So kate is running fine at the same time as terry has ground to a halt!

I have many programs installed and have started to experience this problem after I:

Updated Avast anti-virus program,

installed CrashPlan backup client and service,

installed Private Internet Access VPN,

installed Adobe LightRoom.

I have spent ages trying to eliminate the culprit but since it can take a few days for the problem to show it will take a very long time to get through the list. To make it worse, I thought that I had the problem solved when I removed all of the above programs the re installed crash plan. it ran for longer than it would normally take to halt. then I installed Private internet Access VPN and all seemed fine. Then I installed Avast and all seemed fine. then I installed LightRoom and all seemed fine.

Then after a week (continuously on), when I thought the problem had solved itself, it ground to a halt again. and now it's back to grinding to a halt every 1 or 2 days.

So before I start this process all over again I have a question to ask that may help me.

My question is simply this: What kind PC activity can cause one profile to crash whilst another is running fine? Maybe then I can use this answer to prioritise my re-install process.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

Hi tpot1 :)

I see that issue very often at work on our virtual machines. Usually, it's caused by userprofile corruption. What we do in order to solve this is that we delete the userprofile (not the user), and then we log back in with the user to recreates it, and all the problems goes away. And the problems are exactly the same as yours: the "Welcome" message sits and doesn't go away, slowness, etc. So I suggest you to try this first, and then let me know how it goes.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

Aura, what keyclicks deletes userprofile but not the user?  I'm going to store your answer for future reference in ReadingMaterial.

Addendum:  Aura, got it!  saves as complete html, again, thanks!

Edited by RolandJS, 29 April 2015 - 11:33 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

Check out the first answer (best answer) in the following Superuser.com link.

https://superuser.com/questions/63017/how-do-i-delete-a-user-profile-on-a-windows-7-machine-that-is-part-of-a-domain

That's exactly how you do it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users