Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to Linux

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bastille Day

Bastille Day

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

My friend told me for years to switch to a Linux system. Now I want to make the move.

Simply want to access my stock trading platform and type a few documents. The computer store I was talking too was not sure about accessing a browser as the main tech was out. I want a system to work like my old Windows XP but be free of being spied on and stuff put on my computer I did not ask for through the back door.

Thanks if anyone can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Hi Bastille Day,

I'm not sure what you mean by "accessing a browser," but the vast majority of Linux distros come with an internet browser already installed.

There are numerous Linux distros that would be suitable for your purposes. It really comes down to what's most suitable for your hardware, and your personal preferences.

Here's a thread that's intended to make this decision as easy as possible: [Post Template] What Distribution/Flavor of Linux Should I Use?

The more you can tell us about your hardware (running Speccy is a good way of doing so if you're still using Windows) and your personal preferences, the easier it will be to make suggestions. :)

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,958 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

does your trading platform support linux? you can use a program called libreoffice for your documents and convert them to pdf format if you so desire. just remember linux is linux and windows is windows. so linux wont work like your xp.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,958 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

if you are using chrome on xp you will be able to install in linux and access all your bookmark etc

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:06 PM

heres an trading platform for linux....http://www.eclipsetrader.org/ it's in my Repositories (AUR)   though I really wouldnt know what you use or want..there are a few different programs for stok trading ect..though some require payment....

Though you may be able to run a windows program through WINE...on your Linux system  

but a lot depends on what your system resources are  and how heavy the program you want uses...

#6 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

does your trading platform support linux? you can use a program called libreoffice for your documents and convert them to pdf format if you so desire. just remember linux is linux and windows is windows. so linux wont work like your xp.

I never thought of that, I will have to contact my brokers computer services department.

Plus a few other's like TMXMONEY.COM which is always in the browser.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,402 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:25 PM

Plus a few other's

If, as I suspect, you are referring to websites rather than applications, the internet works much the same on Linux as it does on Windows (apart from that Linux isn't susceptible to viruses etc that are designed to exploit Windows, of course).

tmxmoney.com using Firefox on Linux:

tmxmoney_zpsxzchsvb2.jpeg

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:00 AM

Bastille Day, Welcome to B.C. Forums and Linux.  As Al000 suggested Speccy is and awesome tool for publishing your specs to help people assist you: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

It takes a little work to get it where you want it but if you can follow directions it is not to hard.  No pressure to use it as there are other ways of posting your specs.  

If your computer is running Windows XP, do the following:

1. Click Start.

2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties 

• If you don't see "x64 Edition" listed, then you're running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

• If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you're running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.       

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the great replies and the image from A1000.

That's all I need, my mistake for not mentioning that my trading platform is not an installed program but from a website.

Looks like it may be a go with the Linux system but I was told some processors redirect information, if some can confirm this, please do.

Just want a system that can not be controlled from an outside source as on my old computer, someone locked up all my documents for not buying a certain program after the trial period ended.

Edited by Bastille Day, 30 April 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

You should be able to get to any website on Linux that you can with XP. The internet, fortunately, is not based on what platform you are using and is mostly platform non dependent (I say mostly because some people like to develop websites that work better with Internet Explorer, which is a Microsoft Windows web browser). This is why you can access any website from a smartphone as well as a regular desktop computer. Any of your trading sites should work no problem with Linux. I would install Chrome on whatever Linux distro you choose to use, this is probably one of the most used browsers out there and will work with almost any website.

As far as what Linux distro to use, I would recommend Ubuntu. It is very easy to use and has a huge user base, if you run into problems you can find a solution to most of them pretty easily. I know there are a lot of people on here that use Linux Mint as well. It is also pretty heavily used and based off the same main platform as Ubuntu (Debian) as well as being based off Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu personally and like it. I have found it to work well with most hardware I have tried it on. 

Edited by DeimosChaos, 30 April 2015 - 10:52 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,402 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

It's possible that the trial version of the program was designed to automatically lock documents at the end of the trial period.

One of the ways in which Linux is more secure than Windows, is that only partitions required by the operating system are mounted by default in Linux. Whereas all partitions are mounted, and therefore accessible, by default with Windows. So you could have a Linux partition for storing files, that would only be mounted, and therefore accessible, when you click on it.

In the lower left-hand column under "Devices" is a list of the partitions on my computer:

partitions1_zps9ydu3ehf.jpeg

The only one that's mounted by default when I use Kubuntu, which is what I'm using now, is the Kubuntu partition. To mount any of the other partitions, and therefore make them accessible, I would have to click on the relevant "device" in the list. The idea is that when I'm browsing the internet, for example, and don't need to access other partitions, I leave them unmounted, and therefore inaccessible.

Another way in which Linux is more secure that Windows, is that you can change permissions of files and directories (directory = folder in Windows-speak), so that you, or anyone else who wants to access them needs to enter your password. Not only that, but you can set permissions so that, for example, you don't need to enter your password to read files, but you do need to enter your password to make any changes to them.

Question: Is this your only computer? If so, I suggest making a live Linux CD (which is basically a portable operating system on a CD) before deleting Windows, so that you can access the internet etc if you have any issues or questions between deleting Windows and installing Linux to your hard drive. A live Linux CD is about as secure as you can get. Please see the link in my signature for details.

#12 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

Just want a system that can not be controlled from an outside source as on my old computer, someone locked up all my documents for not buying a certain program after the trial period ended.

I spent many years removing a plethora of assorted Malware from Windows computers,  yet in my 12 yrs using Linux I have never had anyone with any problems of a similar ilk. ... the way linux filesystems are set up reduces how most viri and spyware can propagate through your system. and as said by Al100 you can have different partions and permissions, ..+ if you have a firewall which makes access very hard from outside.

The Issue now is really to find a Distro that will suit your system...I.E CPU, Ram, Graphics etc. 

What was the program that locked your documents as some paid for progs will stop you opening files stored by that program, but shouldn't affect any of the other documents.

#13 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

It was a trial version of Microsoft Home and Office 2010.

I could not edit any of  word pad documents and the word pad logo's appeared different.

Luckily a few were notepad documents but I was basically being held hostage until I paid, which I did not.

#14 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

Linux computer to be built:

main board ASUS H81M-C/CSM - VGA/DVI - Parallel - 2 x DDR3

processor: I3-4130 Intel Core 3.40G 1150

hard drive: 500GB 3.5 SATA11 7200 RPM

ram: 4GB kit 2 x 2 GB - DDR 3 PC 12800 1600 MHZ

C-PC medium tower which can lie flat or stand up.

#15 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:42 PM

You'll have no problem running any of the Linux Distros with that hardware. Its just a matter of finding one that you like. As was mentioned above, do the live cd/dvd option and check some out before committing to installing one to the hard drive. Most Linux Distros have a "Live" version that you can "try before you buy" essentially. It will enable you to run the OS on your hardware see how you like it, then if you do go right to the install button that is located on the desktop usually.

Its a good way to try out multiple distros quickly. It might be a tad slower than when you fully install it but it still works fine.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users