Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win8.1 Desktop Not Loading (Black Screen Only) + Few Shutdown Options

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 just_bri

just_bri

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hello. :) 

To start: My computer is a Lenovo 520s, with Win8.1 (updated from Win8) installed.  I have two accounts: a local account (called TestMe - which has no login password), and an administrative account (Bri - which does have a login password). 

Also, I don't think I can run any of the software you recommend: I technically have no desktop anymore...but I there IS a way I can reach the Command Prompt and possibly boot into Safe Mode (but I'd have to run the Command Prompt as an administrator, which means using my password...and I'm worried that could cause more problems.) 

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED TO ME 

Yesterday I was logged onto my Bri account and I left my PC on (I only had OneDrive open, in my Chrome browser, to upload a PDF document).  I got an error message at work that the PDF I uploaded was somehow corrupt.  When I got home I tried to reupload it with Chrome...but every time I clicked on Chrome, it wouldn't launch (which didn't phase me; Chrome acts weird from time to time).  But then the same thing happened with Firefox. I was able to launch Internet Explorer, but it crashed every time I entered a URL -- so I knew something was wrong. 

My antivirus and antimalware are supposed to be running in realtime, but they apparently detected nothing. So I  manually ran my antivirus AND antimalware, and they still detected nothing (in retrospect, maybe this was because the PC was already infected, and so were these programs).  At this point I thought everything was okay, so I shut down my computer to let it "refresh" itself so I could try launching my programs again. 

Shutting down was apparently a HUGE mistake because the following happened upon restart: 

• I saw a completely different background for my welcome screen. (Rebooted again, and still saw it) 

• My Bri account wouldn't load -- I didn't even get the login screen to show up. 

• My TestMe account acted like it was loading, but instead I got the "Win8 is installing" welcome screen. 

• Rebooted the PC, went back to TestMe, still got the reinstall screen. 

• I decided to let TestMe "install" Win8, got scared about 80% through and shut it off during reinstall. 

When I booted the PC again, my TestMe account now loads -- but my entire screen is black; only the mouse cursor is shown.  And it looks like that "install Win8" might be a virus Why? Well, wouldn't a new account be COMPLETELY empty? And that's clearly not the case because: 

1. All of my files are apparently still there (once I dig deeper into the Task Manager)

2. Immediately after loading, I get an error message that Malwarebytes is not responding (which sounds like a virus to me: if I just reinstalled Win8, Malwarebytes wouldn't even be on here, right? And why out of ALL my programs is the antimalware the only thing malfunctioning?) 

3.  I can go to the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

4.  I can go to the login screen (Ctrl+Alt+Del), but I can ONLY shutdown. There's no option to restart (hence, I can't access Safe Mode that way). 

5. SIDENOTE: I can also access BIOS (by holding F1 before I boot the PC). Not sure if that helps. 

My recovery disk, which I made on a different Win8.1 PC, isn't working either (there's no "Startup Options" listed in the Troubleshoot menu). 

However: I apparently CAN access the Command Line indirectly (by opening Task Manager, right-clickign a program, opening its file location, which launches Windows Explorer, so I can navigate to the file), so maybe I can use that to launch Safe Mode? My only fear is that I have to run the Command Line as an administrator, which means I'd have to enter the password for the Bri account. Isn't that a big risk??? 

Please help. :( Thanks in advance!

Edited by just_bri, 29 April 2015 - 08:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users