Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invisible Icon Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rosssor

rosssor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:58 AM

I am having an issue with icons not appearing on my task bar. Specifically, Windows Store and Windows Reader are invisible. The places where they should be on the task bar are still reserved, and when you click on the blank spot, the program opens. If I open certain programs or games, they also do not appear on the task bar. iTunes and OpenOffice both show on the task bar when opened, but downloaded applications will not. All of the Reader files just show a blank piece of paper in the files folder, but the files still work. I also have some mp3 files that used to have specific icons, but now they just show the default blue music note. This isn't really affecting my ability to use the computer, but I am concerned that it is just the beginning of a larger issue. I've tried restarting the computer into safe mode and running malware program, but it's coming up empty. I attached a screenshot of what im talking about. My desktop icons are fine, as are some of the task bar icons. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Attached Files

• Attached File  Icon.jpg   39.96KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

Hi rosssor :)

This looks more like a corrupted icon cache issue than anything else. Before we start, I suggest you to unpin everything from your taskbar, you'll re-pin them after you're done. Start by running TFC.

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;
Once done, right-click on the Windows logo, and select Command Prompt (Administrator). You'll need to enter these 4 commands, one after the other. The last one will make your computer restart.

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
shutdown /r /f /t 00

Let me know how it goes after. If it still doesn't work, we'll clear another location.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users