Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes install problems - could not open key

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 reggiereg

reggiereg

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:47 AM

I'm having installation problems with Itunes where I get this error popup,

Untitled-1.jpg

and the installation rolls back.

I'm using an up-to-date windows 7 64 bit, and am running itunes installation as administrator.

Any help to resolve this would be very much appreciated,

Kind regards,

Reggie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:17 AM

Hi reggiereg :)

It seems like you have a Registry permission issue with Mozilla Firefox. I suggest you to uninstall Firefox if you don't use it, or simply reinstall it and see if it solve the issue. Make sure that you run it again with the Run as Administrator option.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:56 AM

Hi Aura,

I uninstalled firefox, and still the same issue.

I re installed as administrator.

Should i reinstall firefox and try again?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

Does it gives you the same error message, even thought Mozilla Firefox is uninstalled? If it does, we could simply delete "MozillaPlugin" from the Registry and try to reinstall iTunes again. Firefox not being installed anymore, that entry isn't needed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

exactly the same error. How do I delete that registry key? I've never changed anything in the registry before?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

No worries, since we have the path, I won't make you go in the Registry. Click on the Windows Start Menu and enter cmd. From there, right-click on the little black square icon that will appear and select Run as Administrator. In the command prompt, enter this command:

reg export HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins %userprofile%\Documents\MozillaPlugins.reg

Then, enter this one:

reg delete HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins

Let me know the output of the second command.

unite_blue.png

#7 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

the command reg export HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins %userprofile%\Documents\MozillaPlugins.reg, do I replace %userprofile% with my username for windows?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Nope, %userprofile% is a system environment variable, so it'll replace it by the username of the current logged user.

unite_blue.png

#9 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

the first command, said the operation completed successfully, but the second command asked to "permanently delete the registry key xxxxx (yes/No)?"; to which I answered "y", then it came back with "ERROR: Delete request is partially completed." 

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

Alright, if you enter this command:

reg export HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins %userprofile%\Documents\MozillaPlugins2.reg

You'll have a file called MozillaPlugins2.reg in your Documents folder. Right-click on it and select "Edit/Modify". From there, copy and paste its content in your next reply.

unite_blue.png

#11 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:43 AM

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer]
"Path"="C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\Macromed\\Flash\\NPSWF32_17_0_0_169.dll"
"ProductName"="Adobe® Flash® Player 17.0.0.169 Plugin"
"Vendor"="Adobe Systems Incorporated"
"Description"="Adobe® Flash® Player 17.0.0.169 Plugin"
"Version"="17.0.0.169"
"XPTPath"="C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\Macromed\\Flash\\flashplayer.xpt"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/ShockwavePlayer]
"Description"="Adobe Shockwave Player"
"Path"="C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\Adobe\\Director\\np32dsw_1217157.dll"
"ProductName"="Adobe Shockwave Player"
"Vendor"="Adobe Systems Inc."
"Version"="1217157"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/ShockwavePlayer\MimeTypes]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/ShockwavePlayer\MimeTypes\application/x-director]
"Description"="Adobe Shockwave Movie"
"Suffixes"="dir,dcr,dxr"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/ShockwavePlayer\Suffixes]
"dir"=""
"dcr"=""
"dxr"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@google.com/npPicasa3,version=3.0.0]
"Description"="Picasa3 plugin"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Picasa3\\npPicasa3.dll"
"Vendor"="Google, Inc."

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@google.com/npPicasa3,version=3.0.0\MimeTypes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@google.com/npPicasa3,version=3.0.0\MimeTypes\application/x-picasa-detect]
"Description"="Picasa3 plugin"
"Suffixes"="pinstall"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/DTPlugin,version=11.45.2]
"Description"="Java™ Deployment Toolkit"
"GeckoVersion"="1.9"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Java\\jre1.8.0_45\\bin\\dtplugin\\npDeployJava1.dll"
"ProductName"="Java™ Deployment Toolkit"
"Vendor"="Oracle Corp."

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/DTPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/DTPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/java-deployment-toolkit]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/DTPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/java-deployment-toolkit;deploy=11.45.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2]
"Description"="Oracle® Next Generation Java™ Plug-In"
"GeckoVersion"="1.9"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Java\\jre1.8.0_45\\bin\\plugin2\\npjp2.dll"
"ProductName"="Oracle® Java™ Plug-In"
"Vendor"="Oracle Corp."
"Version"="1.8.0_45"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet]
"Description"="Java™ Applet"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.8.0_45]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.5]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.6]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.7]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.8]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-vm]
"Description"="Java™ Virtual Machine"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=11.45.2\MimeTypes\application/x-java-vm-npruntime]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=2.0.6]
"Description"="VLC Multimedia Plugin"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\npvlc.dll"
"Product"="VLC media player"
"Vendor"="VideoLAN"
"Version"="2.0.6"

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:12 AM

Alright that's good. No sign of the Apple/iTunes plugin. Can you try reinstalling it with Admin Rights?

unite_blue.png

#13 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

it gives the exactly same error as first described.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

You'll have to go in the Registry. So I'll give you a quick Registry 101 class. Here's how the Registry looks.
oFZdYxy.png
Registry Keys are displayed on the left pane. Right now, I'm in the hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd key, located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions. Therefore, the full name of this key would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions\hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd

On the right are the keypairs of that key. The keypair name is on the left (in that case update_url and the "data" of that keypair is on the right (in that case http://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx). All good? :)

Now to access the Registry, press on the Win Key + R buttons and enter Regedit, then press on Enter. This will open the Registry. Now navigate to the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins

Right-click on the MozillaPlugins key and select Permissions. Can you list me the permissions that the System, Administrators, and Users have? The permissions are in second bottom half of the Permissions window.

unite_blue.png

#15 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

Permissions for MozillaPlugins:

system: 
allow full control
allow read