Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I found a TV on a dirt road.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DustCrow

DustCrow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

I went up hiking with a friend in the Colorado mountains today. We went wayyyy up a small dirt trail just wide enough for one car, it was great! (:

About 30 minutes into the drive along this dirt trail, we saw something black 10ft off the road, which ended up being a 46 inch Flat Screen Samsung TV, in perfect physical condition, other than it looks like it's been there several days and we knew it rained the last few nights.. but I took it home anyways!

Found a cable to plug it in, and used my Note 4 as a remote, and it turned on! Made the powering-on little tune and everything! But.. the screen has MAJOR water damage, to the point where it's unusable. It can't be used in the condition it's in now.

So.. if you were in my position, what would you do?
          Look for a replacement panel?
          Call Samsung?
          Set up a warranty with some company somehow?
          Replace the Screen, if I can find a screen replacement?
         Throw it out? Sell the working parts?

What would you do if you were in my exact position? (:

It's a Samsung ln46c630 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:46 AM

You could try to sell the working parts, but boards that have been wet can suffer corrosion failure an indeterminate amount of time in the future. Hardly fair to sell them to anyone without notice of that.

The cost of a replacement panel is out of proportion to the cost of a whole new TV, and the same future problem with likely corrosion applies if you could find a good used panel anywhere.

No type of warranty applies to a set that has been water damaged.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

. . . .  the screen has MAJOR water damage . . . .

Because of the major water damage, it still has a marine application. . . . Boat Anchor!   :pirate:

Cheers!

Naught

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

You'd have to pre-soak it for a boat anchor, it might float for a while if you just tossed it overboard.

#5 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:04 PM

Strip it down and sell its parts is what'd I do.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:39 AM

even if you replaced the screen, you have to wonder why it was out there in the first place. I can think of 2 very real options, one is something else broke, and this was their lazy way to get rid of it, so once you replace the screen you may have to diagnose another problem. The other scenario is this TV was stolen, and dumped/stashed out there, either to avoid getting caught, or as a mean prank on someone. It may not hurt to contact your local police department and see if there are any reports of stolen TVs.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:53 PM

+1

. It may not hurt to contact your local police department and see if there are any reports of stolen TVs.

If it was your real TV, would you like someone (the finder) to report it and not just keep it and run off ? ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users