Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How GPUs work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Compunoob

Compunoob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Hello all!

This isn't so much a problem as a question! Hopefully someone here can shed some light on it for me.
My motherboard supports PCIe 2.0. My old card just went out. Im not even sure if will ask this correctly but this is what I was wondering. Should I get the best card I can for that interface or get a 3.0 card. I'm unsure about what the 2.0 interface will do to a 3.0 card. Other than slow it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

As you stated and answered your own question.  It will do nothing more than slow down the ' bandwidth ' available to the Video Card.  So you will not be running the newer 3.0 video card to it's maximum potential.  Your motherboard will be ' slowing ' you down providing a 'bottleneck'.  You can certainly do this and it will still work- and upgrade in the future to a mainboard supporting PCIe 3.0.

#3 Compunoob

Compunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

Ok thanks for the quick reply! Now I just need to decide what card to get!

#4 akki5230

akki5230

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:28 AM

It won't make any considerable bottleneck. The 2.0 annd 3.0 PCIe doesn't have much bandwidth difference on them. But it may depend on the graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users