Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

technology illiterate needs help choosing cell phone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mystified2

mystified2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

Hi Everyone.

Just joined.  I am older and know alittle about computers and that is really the extent of what I know about technical things.  I have a bare bones cell phone that I use for emergencies and that's it.  For an important reason I now need to get a cell phone that can record sound and do video.  It needs to be able to record video from at least 50ft.; preferably 60ft.  As far as possible.  Sound too.  I don't know if these things are even possible.  The sound and video do not need to be superior; just of acceptable quality that render what is going on clearly.  I am on a budget, so I do need something affordable.  I don't know how or where to start to look, what to look for, what it would be called, so on.  After I figure that out, I need to make sure that it is something I can switch my low cost cell phone service to.

I would be grateful for your help. [ Please explain tech terms as I don't know any. :lol: ]

Thanks

mystified2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mystified2

mystified2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

I have really been trying to research this on the internet and can't find much.  Everyone seems to know all about phones and tablets, so on.  How do they know all of this if I can't find much that tells me what the various gadgets do? 

To find a forum I googled " computer help forums for seniors"  and this forum came up repeatedly on the first search page.  But as I browse this forum I see that people seem very techno literate.  They seem so knowledgeable about all of the different things from programs in computers to all sorts of phones and lap tops; all the abbreviations and insider talk.  I am thinking that I should look for a less advanced place.  Probably helping someone like myself is like trying to teach a 2 year old math.  I see there are 33 replies and no responses.  Sorry, I did go where google sent me. lol

mystified2

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

I don't know of a budget, let alone high end smart phone that will do this:

For an important reason I now need to get a cell phone that can record sound and do video. It needs to be able to record video from at least 50ft.; preferably 60ft. As far as possible. Sound too.

60 ft from a device who's primary function is not A/V production caliber delivery is asking quite a bit. Not knowing who your provider is and what they support doesn't give us much to work with.

There were not 33 replies when I replied to this topic. There may have been 33 views. But that is just views, and those my have been by indexing bots or unregistered members who can't reply. Views are just that. Somebody saw the topic and was curious. Not that they had the information to supply you a reply and chose not to.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

some brand of nokia product / windows phone are cool 

#5 DAVID SHELDON

DAVID SHELDON

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:58 AM

Nokia and window phone are cool and it depend on the budget also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users