Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pearl Linux

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

I installed Pearl Linux on my test laptop last night- all went fine- then i did all the updates and the docky bar at the bottom disappeared.  Its the 32 bit xfce version. I think maybe i should have paid closer attention to what i was updating- I chose- Select all- and update. I wanted to do this so I could one up my dedicated MAC friends, to show them that Linux could look just like a Mac. Will reinstall maybe today and be more careful! Anyone else using Pearl linux as a test bed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

I had never heard of Pearl Linux....and when i tried on Distrowatch  it kept coming up as Pear which is discontinued....but i found it on Sourceforge...

looks quite attractive..

you could try starting the dock .....in the terminal . type in ...... docky     that may re start it...unless of course its Cairodock   

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:44 PM

Yes - Shadow- It is the renewed version of the French Perl Linux which was discontinued- i liked it because it behaves much like a Mac- however I think that the 64 bit versions are better,there is only one 32 bit version w/xfce interface. But I guess you saw that on the download page- I was exhausted last night when I installed it- so I wasn't paying very close attention. The 32 bit version is 1.0 whereas the 64 bit versions are 1.5 so the 32 bit needs a lot of updating from the Ubuntu repository.Also, it is Debian based,so it looks unfmiliar to me. There is a MATE version that probably would be pretty good! We shall see!  Pear- sorry - not Perl- that is a programming language.

Edited by paul88ks, 28 April 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

it gets quite a good review .....from february  http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/81748.html

personally i would rather have Debian than Ubuntu...but then i have never really used Ubuntu...

If you got a Debian instal with all the non free drivers and codecs from http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.0.0-live+nonfree/i386/iso-hybrid/

then find the Mac type theme and install, put Cairo dock on,  remove desktop icons  and you have a pretty good looking MAC lookalike......

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

then find the Mac type theme and install, put Cairo dock on,  remove desktop icons  and you have a pretty good looking MAC lookalike......

MBuntu (MacBuntu) 14.10/14.04 Transformation Pack Is Ready For Ubuntu 14.10/14.04

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

well - I spoke too soon- i rebooted a couple of times and the Mac Docky Bar is back ! Woo-Hoo! I really do like the look and the way it responds- Firefox and Thunderbird are not pre-installed but easily done in the Ubuntu repository. I don't like that i have to take a couple of extra steps to find them in the Menu,but I am sure there is a way around that. There is a favorites section to add to ,but haven't figured that one out yet - but I will! You can't right click to make a shortcut to Firefox and thunderbird but maybe it was designed that way! I dunno? Thanks for the article Shadow- it is very interesting!--- it does come with Chromium (Chrome) pre-installed so thats good!

Edited by paul88ks, 28 April 2015 - 07:05 PM.

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

Nick Au- thats great- but do they make it in 32 bit? I'm testing on an old Dell laptop--

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

Shadow- The Docky is unstable- it disappears for no reason- but you can restart it- also my blutooth isnt working on it either- so I am running into some issues I don't like- but again it is 32 bit- I don't know-maybe because it is a new distro. The Zorin install I had on it previously worked great,but thats another topic

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

Nick- i think i was mistaken - I think it is Ubuntu and not Debian-

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:18 AM

@paul88ks

OK Paul, I am getting confused (not hard to do, some might say), is this Pear Linux or Pearl Linux? ... and we've ruled out Perl programming language, yeah?

:wizardball: Wiz

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:42 AM

@paul88ks

OK Paul, I am getting confused (not hard to do, some might say), is this Pear Linux or Pearl Linux? ... and we've ruled out Perl programming language, yeah?

:wizardball: Wiz

Yes Wiz- this is Pearl Linux- it is the reborn version of Pear or Perl that was a French Distro that has been discontinued- It is supposed to look like a Mac - which it does- but it is a little buggy- I still haven't decided if I will keep it.I am running the 32bit version XFCE and I am going to download the 64 bit version and run it LIVE to see if it is better- The 64 bit version comes in 3 flavors,but I am tired and can't remember what they are ,I will try to post tomorrow- headed to bed for tonight!

#12 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

Does it work properly with a single button mouse?  One simply cannot act like a Mac with a multi-button mouse.

:devil:

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#13 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

The Docky may have some issue with autostart, or maybe its coming up under the desktop...prehaps a look through Config files is needed...also check on the compositor..i think thats in XFCEs setting ( I have XFCE on Gentoo but its in a different country along with the GF) maybe it has compiz ???  make sure its on.......or you wont get the 3d effects

Bluetooth,  you need to see what Pearl is using, I.E Blueman as  it may be built using an older version which isn't right...  I seem to think there was some issues not so long back...I dont use it so i cant be certain..

#14 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

Does it work properly with a single button mouse?  One simply cannot act like a Mac with a multi-button mouse.

:devil:

Haha- very funny- no,but it certainly resembles Mac in several ways-

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

The Docky may have some issue with autostart, or maybe its coming up under the desktop...prehaps a look through Config files is needed...also check on the compositor..i think thats in XFCEs setting ( I have XFCE on Gentoo but its in a different country along with the GF) maybe it has compiz ???  make sure its on.......or you wont get the 3d effects

Bluetooth,  you need to see what Pearl is using, I.E Blueman as  it may be built using an older version which isn't right...  I seem to think there was some issues not so long back...I dont use it so i cant be certain..

Shadow - I havent played around with it enough yet to figure that out.I DO know that the 32bit version only comes with XFCE,wheras the 64 bit comes in at least 3 flavors- as for the Bluetooth issue- as far as I can tell- Pearl does not support it - at least in 32bit- I don't know if thats because of XFCE or what---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users