Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winpatrol will not install

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

I have had Winpatrol for a long time with no trouble. I hit the latest update from Filehippo, saved to my desktop, clicked Run and it ran Ok, but never loaded on completion. No taskbar icon, no Winpatrol.

When I hit the program listed under Start> all programs> accessories, I got the  following error panel :-

NCu7goo.jpg

Uninstalled and installed several times - same result.

Why did I have Winpatrol working fine, then on updating to the latest version it fails ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

http://www.winpatrol.com/downloads.html -- was the best place to download WinPatrol from.  Not sure what to do next; maybe I can cough up a removal solution when home.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

Hi Beaker77 :)

Can you tell me what Antivirus, Antimalware and other security software you have installed on your system? This error often appears when your current Antivirus blocks the execution of the executable. Usually, whitelisting the file or temporarily disabling the Antivirus to execute the file works.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

Aura, thanks for the reminder!  I should have remembered that; happened to me some time ago.  Some abrasive PC-streamliners also cah dork up installations.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

...Uninstalled and installed several times - same result.

Did you use the WinPatrol Removal Tool which removes all files and registry entries created by installing WinPatrol? After running the tool, it will be removed automatically the next time you reboot.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:14 AM

...Uninstalled and installed several times - same result.

Did you use the WinPatrol Removal Tool which removes all files and registry entries created by installing WinPatrol? After running the tool, it will be removed automatically the next time you reboot.

No, I never knew the program existed. I used Revo Uninstaller, then a search, then CC for the Registry.

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:17 AM

Hi Beaker77 :)

Can you tell me what Antivirus, Antimalware and other security software you have installed on your system? This error often appears when your current Antivirus blocks the execution of the executable. Usually, whitelisting the file or temporarily disabling the Antivirus to execute the file works.

I use Avast as my AV, PrivateFirewall as my FW and SpywareBlaster.

I did disable Avast, but it made no difference.

Who`s warning panel is it ? It has no ID on it.

Edited by Beaker77, 29 April 2015 - 03:19 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:58 AM

I suggest you email support@WinPatrol.com in regards to this issue. Bret Lowry, the founder of Ruiware, LLC which purchased WinPatrol from BillP Studios (Bill Pytlovany) said it was his intention to carry on the tradition of responding with quick and courteous customer to all inquiries. I have dealt with each of them numerous times over the years when assisting users with various issues. If you don't hear back within 48 hours please repeat your request. If you have not heard anything after that let me contact and I will contact Bret.

My name is Bret Lowry, I am a founder of Ruiware and the developer who will be working on WinPatrol moving forward. I worked closely with Bill Pytlovany for this release and will continue working with him during the transition period. My commitment to WinPatrol customers is as follows:...I will be responsible for answering support questions...Bill has run WinPatrol with integrity since its inception, as a founder of Ruiware (along with my wife Phoebe), I promise we will carry on that tradition.”

WinPatrol Generation II announcement from BillP Studios

Bret has been a software developer for almost 30 years and has worked in the security sector since 2005. Bret knows the inner workings of WinPatrol as well as Bill did, so he would most likely be the one who could tell you what is going on. You also may want to give him a link to this topic. Both Bill and now Bret have been known to reply in forum topics from time to time.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:20 AM

You might have to disable avast!, uninstall WinPatrol, then download a new installer for it and reinstall it. I've had to do that a couple of times in the past with Antivirus programs that completely prevented a current installation program from working. If it doesn't work, you can go with quietman's suggestion (or go with it right away).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

You might have to disable avast!, uninstall WinPatrol, then download a new installer for it and reinstall it. I've had to do that a couple of times in the past with Antivirus programs that completely prevented a current installation program from working.

You shouldn't have to do that with WinPatrol. I have used it for many years with various anti-virus and anti-malware programs and have never had to disable anything to install or update. A few days ago I updated the latest version on my wife's system which has avast and did not have any problems. The issue needs to be brought to Bret's attention.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

Quietman, I found out running certain programs like ComboFix, JRT, RKill, etc may leave traces that prevent certain resident programs, including WinPatrol,  from either working or even from being cleanly installed.

Edited by RolandJS, 29 April 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#12 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:57 AM

@ Quietman7

QM, I did what you suggested and sent Bret an Email. We will see what happens.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

Ok.

#14 Bret888

Bret888

Authorized Ruiware Rep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

From the message, I can tell that you are using Windows XP. I think I know what’s happening. We had a release of 33.5.2015.7 that had issues on WinXP. We found the problem and corrected it. But rather than change the build number, thus forcing the vast majority of our customers to take an upgrade that does nothing for them, we posted the fix on our site using the same build number. If third party sites are scraping our site to grab the download, this could cause a problem.

We strongly recommend downloading directly from our site, this way you'll know for sure what you are getting.

Direct download link is https://www.winpatrol.com/wpsetup.exe.

My apologies for the confusion.

#15 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

From the message, I can tell that you are using Windows XP. I think I know what’s happening. We had a release of 33.5.2015.7 that had issues on WinXP. We found the problem and corrected it. But rather than change the build number, thus forcing the vast majority of our customers to take an upgrade that does nothing for them, we posted the fix on our site using the same build number. If third party sites are scraping our site to grab the download, this could cause a problem.

We strongly recommend downloading directly from our site, this way you'll know for sure what you are getting.

Direct download link is https://www.winpatrol.com/wpsetup.exe.

My apologies for the confusion.

Well, Bret,

I did  exactly that and downloaded from your site to my desktop. From then on it only took a couple of minutes and Scotty was alive and kicking and of course giving that little Woof. Really great. Albeit that Scotty is a black dog now , I thought he was white before.

I thank you so much for responding to my Email, reading this thread and taking the time to post the solution. It has helped me and will most certainly help others.

With grateful thanks - Beaker

PS - And a very special thanks to Quietman for providing the lead. I have never come across such a helpful and knowledgeable person in all my 12 years of keyboard thumping and many umpteens of Forums

Edited by Beaker77, 01 May 2015 - 10:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users