Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb/ieee 1394 Hub Not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

I run Windows XP Pro SP2, with all the updates downloaded. I recently bought a USB/IEEE 1394 HUB through NewEgg, the product can be seen here.

When I plug the HUB into the back of my computer, I get the "ding-dong" noise and the hardware manager says "Found New Hardware Generic USB HUB" and then "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use." I look under device manager, and it shows up as Generic USB HUB under Universal Serial Bus controllers without any errors.

The problem comes when I plug something into the HUB. When I plug my USB Thumb Drive into it, the hardware manager does a sort of "dong-dong", I'm assuming it's an error sound. Hardware manager says "Found New Hardware SanDisk U3 Micro" which quickly changes to "Found New Hardware USB Mass Storage Device" and then says "A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly." I look under device manager, and it shows up as USB Mass Storage Device with a yellow exclamation next to it. It does this for every USB device I plug into the HUB. Firewire devices simply don't show up at all.

Posted Image

I tried searching for new drivers for both the HUB and the deivces I plug into them, without any luck. I tried restarting my computer, both with and without the HUB plugged in. I tried different USB ports on my computer, and different USB ports on the HUB. I followed the Windows Troubleshooting guide several times through, I've ran out of ideas, and I'm hoping somebody here can help me.

Edited by .Prodigy., 03 July 2006 - 11:46 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:16 PM

A quick update for those reading:

I plugged my HUB into a second computer, and it came up as the same exact thing under device manager, so I know that part is working right. On the second computer, when I plug my Thumb Drive into the HUB, it works just as if I plugged it directly into the computer.

On the troublesome computer, I booted into safe mode to see if there were any differences, but I got the same result as when it was booted normally.

Posted Image

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

Bumping this topic, as I'm still looking for an answer. If I don't figure this out soon I'll just return it or even give it away and get a new one.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users