Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote desktop, Virtual Machine and Virtual Box

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jason6161

Jason6161

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

Can someone explain the difference between these 3 programs?

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 01:29 PM.
Moved from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

Hi Jason6161 :)

Two of these words are closely related, while the other one isn't.

Remote Desktop is often a reference to the "RDP" acronym, which means "Remote Desktop Protocol", a protocol used by Microsoft Windows systems to remotely connect to another Windows system (or even other OS now). There's a nice little article on Microsoft website about, I suggest you to give it a read. If there's something you don't understand in it, let me know and I'll explain it to you.

Connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Connection

A Virtual Machine is like the state name, a machine that doesn't exist physically, it only exists virtually inside a system. It's the emulation of a system inside another system. So you could for example have Windows 8.1 installed on your computer, but using a program, create a virtual machine running Windows XP in it. To put it simply, it's running an independant system (guest) inside a system (host). For more information, you can consult the Wikipedia article below.

Virtual machine

VirtualBox is a program developped and maintenant by Oracle that allows you to create virtual machines. It's what we call an "hypervisor". A program that allows you to create and manage virtual machines. For more information, you can consult their website and their Wikipedia article.

VirtualBox
VirtualBox Wiki

So to sum it up, you can use VirtualBox to create a virtual machine (or multiple VMs), and you use the "Remote Desktop" to connect remotely to another computer and access it. If you have any questions about any of these concepts, let me know. I use RDP at work and I'm running VirtualBox at home with multiple virtual machines. So I'm sure that I can answer your questions :)

Edited by Aura., 28 April 2015 - 11:54 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 justinkemp99

justinkemp99

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:09 AM

Virtual machine is dynamically provisioned with Citrix XenDesktop or VMWare View Manager providing the desktop resource for the user.  Remote Desktop is where RDP is used to connect to a physical or virtual server which has a static IP Address.  

Virtual box allows users to run additional operating systems on a single machine, as a Guest OS, run in a virtual environment and to freely switch between OS instances running simultaneously :)

Edited by justinkemp99, 30 April 2015 - 01:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users