Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with program installation

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 flycaster

flycaster

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

Trying to install Fitbit instructions.  I keep getting a failure alert indicating that I should log on as an administrator in that I don't have sufficient permission to access a directory.  Here is an image of the alert:

setup%20fitbit.jpg

I do log on as administrator, but still get same alert. How do i develop sufficient privilages to allow me to complete the install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

Hi flycaster :)

Right-click on the installer and select Run as Administrator. Let me know if the installation goes throught after.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

Thanks.  Got it to work, but via a different method (

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

No problem, glad that you got it to work :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

What other method did you use?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

What other method did you use?

Probably shuld have said that I found the solution here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/167/windows-7/

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

You posted a link to the Windows 7 section of BleepingComputer, wrong URL I think.

unite_blue.png

#8 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

Yeah, wrong link....here's the right one:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-access-denied-permission-ownership/

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

You didn't had to change the user permissions on that folder, but it also works. Next time, just try the "Run with Administrator" option first, you'll see it works great :)

unite_blue.png

#10 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:23 AM

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-access-denied-permission-ownership/

Hello,

Did you restore ownership to SYSTEM? You have to be very careful with windows permissions, some windows components will not work if the owner is not set to system.

#11 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hello,

Did you restore ownership to SYSTEM? You have to be very careful with windows permissions, some windows components will not work if the owner is not set to system.

Are you suggesting that I must restore ownership to the System, or that I leave things as there are as long as I don't note any problems?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:24 AM

It's strongly suggested to restore the ownership to SYSTEM. Usually, you don't wait until issue occurs, you do it to prevent them. This way, you won't get stuck in a bad situation later on :)

unite_blue.png

#13 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

It's strongly suggested to restore the ownership to SYSTEM. Usually, you don't wait until issue occurs, you do it to prevent them. This way, you won't get stuck in a bad situation later on :)

Does your cautionary staement mean that for all files/folders within my computer, one should see that the SYSTEM is under ownership?  Permissions are definitely not one of my computer strengths!

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Naturally, SYSTEM have permissions everywhere but I cannot say for sure. For now, you should just switch back the ownership on the folder that you took from SYSTEM. No need to worry about the other permissions if you didn't change them.

unite_blue.png

#15 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

Naturally, SYSTEM have permissions everywhere but I cannot say for sure. For now, you should just switch back the ownership on the folder that you took from SYSTEM. No need to worry about the other permissions if you didn't change them.

When I go to the folder that I "think" I changed, SYSTEM doesn't exist in properties/security.  Don't know how to go about effecting the change in ownership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users