Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice Needed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

I'm having some issues that I would like to get some advice.  We have a laptop computer that we have been using for about a year and usually use Chrome as our browser.  All of a sudden Chrome got really slow so I ran Super Anti Spyware and it found some tracking cookies that it deleted.  I then went to update Malwarebytes and the update failed.  I tried restarting the computer and even doing it in safe mode. So instead of messing with it I reformatted the laptop back to factory defaults on Windows 8.  I upgraded to windows 8.1 and applied all of the updates and installed Avast as my AV.  I put Chrome back on my computer and it is still running horribly slow.  It takes about 15-20 seconds to launch and bring something up on the screen.  I installed Firefox and it is much faster, but as I add my add-ons (adblock plus, WOT, trafficlight, and lastpass) it is getting slow too.  I installed Malwarebytes again and ran a scan and it found nothing.

Last night we got the email from the credit card company that our credit card got hacked at 2:30 in the morning. I don't think the incidences are connected, but I'm starting to get concerned. Is there anyway to check to make sure the lag I'm seeing in Chrome and Firefox (to a much lesser extent) are not connected? I'm wondering if I need to take all of my computers off of the network and rebuild them,  In additon I would resett the network back to its default and setup a new ISID and password, but I don't know if that would help or not. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Hi Scott :)

Is it possible for you to list us your computer specs? Maybe publish a Speccy snapshot if you know how (otherwise I can give you the instructions). Also, do you mean a new "SSID"? To reset your network back to default, you would simply have to reset your modem, router or modem/router, whatever you are using and then set it back up.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

Hi Scott-

Normally, for a post like this, I would direct you to repost in our "Am I infected" forum but in this case I would suggest you follow the prep guide here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

and then post your logs/topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Be sure to paste all logs into the thread rather then attaching them.

Average wait time for a response is 5 days.

To be safe, from a known clean computer,  you may want to change your passwords for any banking, credit card sites etc that you access from the network you suspect may be infected.

Good Luck Scott   :)

Edited by Johnny Computer, 28 April 2015 - 07:19 AM.

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

Too many extensions/add-ons/plug-ins attached your browser can contribute to poor performance, slow loading and other issues. Sometimes they cause browsers to quit unexpectedly or not perform properly especially, if it was poorly designed or was created for an earlier browser version. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can also impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing). Further, it is not uncommon for third-party applications to install bundled add-ons into browsers as part of their own installation process. This can can slow down browser start-up and page loading time, clutter the interface with toolbars, and they may fall behind on version compatibility and security updates. Some toolbars and add-ons are even considered PUPs or adware. You can improve performance by disabling or removing those which are unnecessary or you do not recognize. Disabling add-ons is also one of the recommended first steps in troubleshooting brower issues.

Safe Mode Firefox (debugging startup mode by restart with Add-ons disabled) is used for troubleshooting purposes by allowing you to temporarily disable all the custom settings, themes and extensions. There are also options to make them permanent or reset all preferences to default.

If you want a more detailed look at your system for possible malware, then more advanced tools are needed to investigate....so follow the instructions provided by Johnny Computer. We do not perform detailed analysis in this forum.

If you choose to post a log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum...after doing that, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi Scott :)

Is it possible for you to list us your computer specs? Maybe publish a Speccy snapshot if you know how (otherwise I can give you the instructions). Also, do you mean a new "SSID"? To reset your network back to default, you would simply have to reset your modem, router or modem/router, whatever you are using and then set it back up.

Hi Aura!

Yes, I was referring to SSID!  'ISID' is a work acronym that we commonly use.

I do not know how to do a Speccy snapshot so if you can give me instrutions I will gladly post them when I get home.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

Here goes :)

ik5xYHs.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot
Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:
  • Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);
    Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;
  • Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;
  • After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;
  • A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;
  • A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;
Also, I suggest you to follow quietman's troubleshooting instructions for Firefox, just to see what it gives.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

One thing I forgot to mention is that I actually did try running Chrome with all of the extensions/add-ons disabled, and it still didn't help out with the performance. I even turned off hardware accelleration because that was causing a lag for others users but it didn't help my version of Chrome out. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

Also, what do you mean by slow exactly? Slow as in performance (the browser itself), or slow when it comes to loading websites, webpages, web elements, etc.?

unite_blue.png

#9 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

I think there are 2 definitions of 'slow' in this case. The first the lag time it takes from the moment I select Chrome to the first time the browser actually opens on the screen. That can take 10-15 seconds.  The second in the time it actually takes to dislay the website/webpages on the screen. That usually takes in the neighborhood of 10 seconds.  Firefox  takes about a third of the time listed above.

I ran a few tests on speedtest.net test just to test the network and the latency usually came back around 34 with a average download speed of 28mbps and upload speed of 4mbps. So I would have expected the pages to load quicker than they are. 

#10 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

Here goes :)

ik5xYHs.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot
Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:

• Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);
    Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;
  • Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;
  • After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;
  • A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;
  • A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;
Also, I suggest you to follow quietman's troubleshooting instructions for Firefox, just to see what it gives.

Here is the link to the Speccy file from Piriform.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/huvTPkcVadRbPE6toooD4bc

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

Your specs are quite standards, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox shouldn't have that much difficulty to run on that system. What's your RAM and CPU usage when using Google Chrome and/or Mozilla Firefox? Also, do you have Google Chrome 32 or 64-bits installed?

unite_blue.png

#12 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

I don't remember having an option to install a 32 or 64 bit version of Chrome.  According to Chrome I'm using Version 42.0.2311.90M.  I do see I have a the following message "Update failed (error:3) An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80040154 -- system level)."  Not really sure what that means though.

Other than running task manager in Chrome, is there a better way to see RAM and CPU using when surfing using these 2 browsers?

It appears that Chrome will not start loading a new URL until the current one is done loading.  It will let me type the new URL but it just sits there chugging along on the current page for 5-10 seconds before the next URL will start to load.  I also notice when running Firefox that if I try to use the backspace key to undo some typing there is a second or two lag before the characters get deleted. 

Here is the task manager log from Chrome:

Browser Private Shared Total Private Mapped
Google Chrome 42.0.2311.90
340,360k 48,308k 388,668k 415,420 k 641,788 k
Firefox 37.0.2
271,400k 14,416k 285,816k 271,072 k 90,476 k
Note: Chrome includes memory used by plug-ins, other browsers may not.

Processes      Memory Virtual memory PID Name Private Shared Total Private Mapped 3380
Browser
116048k 28612 k 144660k 84852k 100820k 896
Extension
WOT
13860k 49076k 62936k 29516k 65736k 3792
Extension
Adblock Plus
45720k 52544k 98264k 63572k 64912k 3572
Extension
LastPass: Free Password Manager
34236k 50928k 85164k 47552k 68076k 2036
Extension
Bookmark Manager
12540k 48564k 61104k 23316k 64912k 1284
Tab
Advice Needed - General Security
71260k 55092k 126352k 82556k 76168k 4912
Extension
Feedback
20144k 50064k 70208k 33048k 68212k 2212
Tab (Chrome)
About
13736k 51252k 64988k 29680k 68040k 2008
Tab (Chrome)
About Memory
12816k 48640k 61456k 21328k 64912k   Σ 340360k   775132k 415420k 641788k

#13 Fremont PC

Fremont PC

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:11 PM

Do you see much difference between operating with/without the power cord. Go into Control Panel, Power Options and change the setting to High Performance. Any change? 

Run Chrome and start Windows Task Manager and click the "Show Processes from all users" button. Open a few tabs, cruise some websites and see if the CPU usage tends to peg out at 90% or more. Sort by the CPU column and see what stays at the top of the list.

#14 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

I tried running chrome both plugged in and unplugged and there wasn't a difference.  I also changed the power setting from 'balanced' to 'high performance' and didn't notice any drop in the lag time either.  It appears Chrome might have opened up a little bit quicker, but it still takes 15 second for my home page to show up on the screen. 

I'm going to use windows task manager tonight and see if I can figure out what is happening.  when I tried using the Chrome task manager to open a page the chrome icon was shown in task manager 5 times with different CPU and memory usage.  As the page loaded they started to drop off of the active listing.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

You are using Google Chrome 32-bits. I suggest you to uninstall it completely, and install the 64-bits version of it.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/desktop/

Click on Download Chrome for another platform and select Windows 8/7 64-bits.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users