Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to access .exe files while running antivirus ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_John

Steve_John

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:33 AM

Anybody have an option for this operation ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:54 AM

Could you give more information on what you're wanting to do?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:00 AM

By access...do you mean scanning individual .exe files? If so, you can do that by right-clicking on the file to open the context menu and choosing the option to scan with your anti-virus.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

Judging by the original post I think Steve_John is having some kind of problem where his antivirus is preventing ether the download or running of exe files, and I would assume it is happening with most exe files he tries to download/run not just one or two, otherwise he would likely have posted "Antivirus blocking [filename].exe".

If your antivirus is preventing you running or downloading exe files at all then it is not doing it's job properly, if it is preventing running of any exe file (as opposed to just one or two which it regards as suspicious) then it's either suffering a severe false positive detection rate or it's got a setting (perhaps accidentaly turned on) to block all exe files which weren't there when you installed it. Which antivirus is it? I you are very confident that the exe files it is preventing from rnning/downloading are safe then you can report them as false positives and should be abe to whitelist them manually for your own machine. Exe files, as file types go, are the most likely to be dangerous (along with scr and other executable formats) but many exe files are safe, they are afterall the basis for all the programs you run. When downloading an exe file (that is when you are downloading progras) you should NEVER run it there and then, but instead save it into a folder, scan it with your antivirus, then scan it with a second opinion scanner, (you could also scan it with virustotal as well) then check it's properties and digital signatures before running it from the folder you saved it into. If you are following that procedure can you explain which point in it you reach when your antivirus prevets you from continuing?

Edited by rp88, 28 April 2015 - 12:01 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

We are not going to be sure what Steve means until he replies.

#6 Steve_John

Steve_John
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:54 AM

Judging by the original post I think Steve_John is having some kind of problem where his antivirus is preventing ether the download or running of exe files, and I would assume it is happening with most exe files he tries to download/run not just one or two, otherwise he would likely have posted "Antivirus blocking [filename].exe".

If your antivirus is preventing you running or downloading exe files at all then it is not doing it's job properly, if it is preventing running of any exe file (as opposed to just one or two which it regards as suspicious) then it's either suffering a severe false positive detection rate or it's got a setting (perhaps accidentaly turned on) to block all exe files which weren't there when you installed it. Which antivirus is it? I you are very confident that the exe files it is preventing from rnning/downloading are safe then you can report them as false positives and should be abe to whitelist them manually for your own machine. Exe files, as file types go, are the most likely to be dangerous (along with scr and other executable formats) but many exe files are safe, they are afterall the basis for all the programs you run. When downloading an exe file (that is when you are downloading progras) you should NEVER run it there and then, but instead save it into a folder, scan it with your antivirus, then scan it with a second opinion scanner, (you could also scan it with virustotal as well) then check it's properties and digital signatures before running it from the folder you saved it into. If you are following that procedure can you explain which point in it you reach when your antivirus prevets you from continuing?

Thank you @rp88

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

I take that comment @rp88 to mean the issue is related to your anti-virus. Which anti-virus are you using?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users