Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to reset a laptop with Windows 8, but keep getting black screen w/ cursor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xialoh

Xialoh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:06 PM

Long story short, someone I know bought a laptop. The seller told them they'd need a new hard drive. I took a look at it and found it was riddled with malware and adware. Couldn't even login to the account without getting a black screen+mouse cursor. So after going into safe mode and uninstalling a few programs and running ADWCleaner, I've been able to login to the main account normally.

I'm running malwarebytes and MSE right now, but since they don't want all this extra data anyway, I figured I'd just wipe everything. The problem is that when I go to system restore, or system reset, or when I try to use the HP recovery tools, it goes to a loading screen, and then a black screen with a cursor. Forever. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what could be breaking every recovery option.

That said, I'm also wondering if the reset option will reinstall Windows 8 without needing an installation disc or anything like that. I've seen yes and no in different places, so I'm no longer sure.

Here's screenshots with misc specs if it would help to know:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

Using the System Reset can be done without a disc.  There is a partition on the hdd just for this type of recovery.

You will find instructions for doing this at HP Support.

Edited by dc3, 28 April 2015 - 09:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Xialoh

Xialoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Thanks, it's good to know I won't need the disc, but I don't have a problem attempting to start the process. The problem is that whenever I do, it just goes to a black screen. Is there any information as to what would cause something like that? Every recovery option leads to a black screen, even if I boot up in safe mode first (not sure if that even makes a difference really). The main desktop works fine.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

Did you use the option "Resetting your computer when Windows will not open to the Start screen"?

I don't feel that the instructions to begin this a clear, so try this.

Withe the computer off press the power button and immediately start tapping the F11 key till the Choose an option screen opens.  From there follow the instructions for the options I suggested.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users