Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Publisher files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maeflye63

maeflye63

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

I am looking for some freeware that will open my publisher files. I used to have Microsoft 2003. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Windows 8.1 and I usually use Chrome.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 April 2015 - 07:21 PM.
Moved to 'Business applications'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

I do not know how successful the conversion will be but there is an online converter here. It will convert your .pub files to other formats of your choosing. You can try .pub to pdf or pub to doc. There is also a pub to html converter. 

#3 maeflye63

maeflye63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

Used the zamzar one. changed it to a pdf it didn't work for that all scrambled. It does let me see what it is when I convert to doc. but it still isn't right. I have some business cards I need to print but it isn't working.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

Did you try the pub to html conversion? Unfortunately Microsoft does not have a Publisher viewer.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

JohnC, I was going to suggest either Libre or Open Office suites for the OP.  But, those won't read Publisher material, correct?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

JohnC, I was going to suggest either Libre or Open Office suites for the OP.  But, those won't read Publisher material, correct?

Unfortunately, no. Publisher is a proprietary format. For the best scenario the OP needs access to Publisher so they can export the pub file to a pdf or doc format. Maybe their local library has Publisher available.

The other option is to install the trial version of Office 365 which has publisher and use that.

#7 Vincent's Mom

Vincent's Mom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:56 PM

Is there absolutely no .pub to .doc converter available?  I don't want a 'trial version' of Office 365, but I'll go there if I have to.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

trial-version Ofc365 -- there must go you  [yodaRevisited]

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

You can open .pub files with LibreOffice Draw in the current version (Fresh).  Note, that it is not perfect, and certain features in Publisher won't render correctly.  Simple documents should be OK, complex designs with fancy effects probably won't work well.  If you need portability you would be better off exporting the documents to PDF format in Publisher.  The only guaranteed way to open the .pub file and for them to look as originally intended is in Publisher itself.  If you use say InDesign or Serif PagePlus, you'd run into the same issue - proprietary file formats.

Edited by jonuk76, 12 October 2015 - 05:03 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users