Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Win 8.1 password login problem w/no network connectivity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bogden95

bogden95

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

Hi - there is a similar but not identical posting http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573663/changed-microsoft-password-now-i-cant-log-in-to-computer/ so if I should move this there I will be happy to. However, my issue is slightly different so I didn't want to muddy the waters over there.

I purchased a Lenovo desktop "certified" open box from BB but it was a hacked up sw mess. At the time it took days to get the Win8 updates (there are documented network driver issues from that time period). Finally got it updated then upgraded to 8.1. First mistake (well first after my purchasing decision! I didn't do my research and realize I could create a local acct as it only prompted to enter a MS Live account.

I was hit with problems that are documented by many users at that time - a) Win updates reset nw drivers, breaking connectivity, and requiring an edit of Win settings to use correct drivers; B) Win 8/8.1 loses or corrupts login passwords. When this occurred (after a forced Win update) I could not logon.

I contacted MS and was instructed to reset password. I confirmed the password reset by accessing my hotmail account on a different computer. However, the desktop in question never successfully updated the password, and after another reboot the network connectivity was lost (again). This time, however, I could not edit the settings to regain connectivity because I couldn't access Windows (due to the password issue).

I tried using the sticky key hack, using restore/boot disks from the desktop as well as from other computers, to no avail. I was able to eventually get into safe mode under troubleshooting but I cannot access the hidden admin account/password because I'm always asked for a password. I did have a non-admin local acct but that pw was also hosed. The error msg was misleading - it was similar to "system not available try again later" so I thought it was another connectivity issue - it was only after many tries that the 'incorrect pw' msg would sporatically show.

The desktop is being used as a door stop now, but am hoping since there are other similar threads, maybe there is hope? I can't use a Tornado to connect, nor can I put in on my home network to access, but I'd really like to get to the bottom of the problem. I'm not a fan of pw breaking sw but even tried several - but it seems most are for local accts, and none I tried even found the non-admin local acct pw.

Sorry for the long msg - TIA for any tips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hello,and Welcome Do you need to pull any data off the computer? See if you can enable the Hidden Administrator account using NT offline Registry editor. In order to boot the disk, you will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI and Fastboot/Quickboot if enabled. 

You can get the latest version here

You can download Windows 8.1 install media here.  Your key for Windows 8 is embedded in BIOS.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

Given the system was "open box", the first thing to do is to reinstall Windows as you don't know what was left behind by the original owner.

Use the HDD Recovery Partition on the system and reinstall Windows.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#4 bogden95

bogden95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:27 PM

Sorry for the late response. I could not do any of the above - nothing would get past requiring password and/or being internet connected (since it was connected to my windows live acct) I could not use hidden partition since it was a mishmash of oem 8. (This happened on 3 computers from this vendorl) All I could do is complete format, reset partitions.

I hope the above solutions work for others as this seems to be a common problem. Thank you for your responses.

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:40 AM

Sorry to learn that you had to go through all of that.

Good luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users