Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN connection to WIFI network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 splishsplash

splishsplash

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

I have accesses to a WIFI network but have a heating control system that needs a LAN port is there anything I can do that will accommodate it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

What protocol is the WIFI network using?  A/B/G/N?

You need a network appliance that works in 'client mode'  Like this... seen here.

#3 splishsplash

splishsplash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:09 PM

Many thanks but I do not understand protocol. All I know is that I need the pass code to connect to the WIFI so need something which will allow this. The link looks good if I can find one in UK

Can I use something connected to the WIFI if it has a LAN socket

#4 jefferysummers

jefferysummers

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

Place the router so the Ethernet cable to both the modem and the existing LAN switch  device and connect one end of an Ethernet cable to the modem's LAN port and the other end to the wireless router's WAN port.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:30 PM

Most wi-fi routers available in the UK also contain LAN, or ethernet, connections - usually four. Look for a row of squarish sockets on one edge of the router. They are similar to the one for the phone line but a different dimension. Have a look at this image, taken from a Netgear router, which shows them quite clearly -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5v7uas6ni6aybv/Netgear%20router%20connections.jpg?dl=0

All you need to do is run an ethernet cable from the control system's output to the router and plug it in to any one of the LAN sockets.

You do not need a pass phrase for a wired - ethernet - connection, you just plug the cable in and the equipment is connected. You might want to so some research on your router's security to reduce the risk of any anti-social person interfering with your heating. A major concern for many is the prevalence of weak security protocols on connected equipment - the Internet of Things.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 30 April 2015 - 06:30 PM.
spelling / typing !

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:42 PM

I totally agree with Chris.  It would be preferable to 'not use wifi' on controlled equipment.  It would be better to use a wired connection.  You may be able to contact a local computer company for assistance.  This is a very easy accomplishment.  Although depending on distance it may be a little more costly since you will need to run CAT5 from the device to the router to the wired connection on the 'WIFI' net.  And in all actuality you do not need another router to do this this can be done with a network switch.  The setup would look like this:

(piece of heating/air equipment)---------CAT5-------->Network Switch-----------CAT5----------->(open RJ45 port on the current WIFI device) 

Depending on distance you may not need the switch at all:

(piece of heating/air equipment)----------CAT5 or 6------->(open RJ45 port on current WiFi Device)

Distance for wired lan 

Edited by YeahBleeping, 30 April 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#7 splishsplash

splishsplash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for the great advice but I do not have access to the router. It is a communal wifi and the router is 100 metres away. The options I have are to find something that will pick up the wifi that will allow me to plug in an ethernet plug or, I have found that there are 3G hubs with LAN ports available. I think the latter is probably the easiest option

#8 jefferysummers

jefferysummers

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:11 AM

Moderator you clarify all my doubts with the picture link.  It is easy to understand by a picture rather then in words.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

I just want to be sure that you then realize that anyone connected to the wifi will have 'direct' access to the heating/ac unit.

#10 splishsplash

splishsplash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the help. I have seen the Netgear and similar products and in view of the fact that others would have access to the control have decided against. At least there was a solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users