Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

delprof2 .bat file

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kirkdesr58

kirkdesr58

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:49 PM

I work in a large college computer lab environment and delprof2 batch file or any good profile deletion method to run on my computers once a week. Do anyone have a good suggestion? Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2015 - 07:28 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Windows Server - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hi kirkdesr58 :)

Are you an IT employee that have to take care of these computers in the lab and remove unused profiles on them, or are you simply a student (or other user) of these computers?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 kirkdesr58

kirkdesr58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

Yes, I have Domain and OU permissions.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

What I would do is that I would schedule a delprof2 task on every computers that would run once a week to delete every userprofile included in it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 kirkdesr58

kirkdesr58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:01 PM

I do that but the only problem is when we have to change our password, I have to change the PW on each computer, and thats two Labs. 150 units.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

What password do you change? What kind of accounts are used? Local accounts or domain accounts (AD)?

unite_blue.png

#7 kirkdesr58

kirkdesr58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:16 PM

I use schedule task, and I created the tasks with my AD username & PW.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:27 AM

I have to change the PW on each computer

Why? Are the students, professors, etc. using these computers using AD accounts or local user accounts?

unite_blue.png

#9 kirkdesr58

kirkdesr58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

I named the task Profiles and it is located in my server network share folder, and my PW is needed for the action to be completed.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

You could just add this task as a normal task on every computers without linking it to your account and it could be run by the SYSTEM.

unite_blue.png

#11 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

Assuming that the users have roaming profiles, There is a group policy setting that deletes the local copies of the roaming profiles when users log off - A very old MS knowledgeable article about this is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/274152 it's for Windows 2000 but should apply to newer.

This method is susceptible to failure if files remain locked too long into the log-off process. It may be necessary to implement UPHClean to free the locked files. Also some AV clients may lock files open for too long.

Obviously network traffic would need to be considered as then all logons need a roaming profile download.

Another technique that you may want to consider is to mitigate the issue by reducing the size of roaming profiles (& therefore network traffic, time taken to load the profile etc,). You could to use profile folder redirection on folders such as my documents, favourites and even desktop to subfolders within the user's network home drive. Roaming profiles themselves then become much smaller and users access these files across the network as they are needed rather than at every logon.

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users