Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linux logs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hello all, I've been running Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit, version 2.2.16, Linux Kernel 3.16.0-30 generic, on my Gateway laptop for a quite awhile now, happily I might add.  Every once in a while it will freeze up while using Firefox.  I can not use mouse or keyboard.  I end up rebooting by holding the power button.  I would like to know where to look for what may be causing this issue.  Which logs, where are they, and how to interpret them.

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hi Scott,

Your best bet might be to start Firefox from the terminal. Any error messages should be displayed in real time.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572947/starting-applications-from-the-terminal-in-ubuntu-based-distributions/

How much RAM does your laptop have, and does it have a swap partition?

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:29 PM

Maybe this is too simple but is it current and updated?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

as  Al1000 mentioned  run FF from the terminal and any other apps you have running,  as it could be conflict with 1 of them..

I think these would be the logs for you to look at 

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

~/.xsession-errors

/var/log/messages

I  looked on Google and found  this which makes it look like Cinnamon has an issue or 2 with Freezing anyway..this may or maynot be the same problem you have but may give an Insight as to problem solving

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4072

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

Thank for the responses:  I did the sudo firefox command in the terminal I will google the results. 

I am running version 37.0.2 and I do have a 4gb  swap and 6gb ram.  If I need more assistance I will be back to ask.

Thanks!!

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

I wouldn't start Firefox using sudo. First of all as I explained in the thread I posted a link to, applications that have a graphical user interface should not be started using sudo. In other words, only command line applications should be started using sudo.

Secondly, I would think that starting an internet browser with root permissions would be a bad idea from a security perspective.

As I also explained in the thread I posted a link to, all you need to type to start Firefox from a terminal is:
firefox

Edited by Al1000, 02 May 2015 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users