Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Than One Type Of Program

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

Hi, just had a quick question. If I am violating the forum rules, please let me know. I'm very new but want to be compliant.

My question is I have AVG as my AV program. Should I install avast? or will the two conflict? I've learned on the board that you should only have one firewall, but was just wondering about AV programs.

Currently on my system I use Zone Alarm as my firewall, AVG as my AV, Spybot and Adaware as my anti spyware programs. I also use SpywareBlaster.

Any recommendations woudl be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:22 AM

Never have more than one anti-virus software installed on your computer (this is also the case with firewalls). I have used AVG for a long time, and I have found it to be very reliable and easy-to-use, so I'd keep AVG, please do not install Avast as well.
Hope this helps with your problem.. :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

Can you have more than one resident Anti-virus program?
Can you? YES
Should you? NO
Is it a good idea, do you get better protection? NO

The danger, is that one antivirus program may (Read this as eventually will) see
the others definition files as viruses, and will remove them. This is not so much a problem with manual scans, where you only run one Antivirus program at a time, if you pay close attention to what it detects, and where. If you manually configure it to ignore the other program, and its files, then you minimize the risk from this problem.

The big problem, is the silent threat. Most antivirus programs will scan web based (not necessarily all, like P2P, and IM) file transfers. It is quite common, for one antivirus program, to detect the incomming virus updates for the other. Thinking parts of the definition files are viruses in their own right, the AV will strip these out of the update.
The end result? Instead of having two, or even one, up to date fully functional
antivirus programs, you have two severely crippled programs, which are each
missing critical definition, and detection files .

So, it is best to have one antivirus program, and keep it up to date and use it
properly.
Then, if you experience a problem, or question its efficiency, you run an online scan.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:20 AM

thank you so much for your replies. I'm learning so much from these forums and hope to pass the info along to people who need it, or at least the website. thx again.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:02 PM

You're quite welcome, Bernie70.
Glad to be of help.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:04 AM

Hello again. I have another question (and would like to get bumped). But anway, my set up is the following

AVG-antivirus
Zonealarm - firewall
Spyware Blaster - antispyware
Spybot - antispyware
Ad-aware - anti spyware

I'd like some extra protection and/or removal programs that are generally regarded as safe and which won't conflict with my set up. Some of the ones I was thnking of are the following

A-squared
Spyware guard (according to the description, it goes well with spyware blaster).

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:40 AM

I have all that you already have, and also A-squared & Spyware guard.
And have for quite some time, without any problems. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

As Scarlett suggested, you have downloaded some good programmes there that work and are needed.

You could and i recommend should, download the new version of Ewido anti-spyware from HEREand update it. Its an excellent piece of software and i wouldnt be without it.

Just one other thing, If you have Spybot installed with Tea-timer, then you wont need spywareguard as they both do pretty much the same thing.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#9 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:35 PM

thank you scarlet.

and Grave, I didnt know about the tea-timer. I guess I missed that part in the tutorial. Man i love those things.

thanks so much.

#10 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:36 PM

You are welcome,anymore problems and you only need to say

Happy Browsing
:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users