Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional Bluescreens;computer was checked out but...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:41 AM

Does anyone know what to make of  occasional bluescreens? I did all the scans,chkdsk, and cleanings;they come back fine.  A guy came out and checked out my computer;uninstalled a lot of unneeded programs(including McAfee then puts in Avast anti-virus). He was recommended by a family member.  He said bluescreens could be caused by a conflict in opened programs and said my computer was in good shape. I noticed I get them (two in the last week) when I'm googling articles; where the scrolling gets sticky at first, then comes the blue screen with "irreversible hardware error" message.  Then I re-boot in normal mode and it says "windows has recovered successfully." I'm trying to reach this repair guy to check the computer again but in the meantime does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:52 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

I don't know how to use the snapshot feature. The repairman said "do nothing with the computer." What i'm looking for is an OPINION: can bluescreens come from website conflicts or accessing too many sites atonce? All the checks I did before came back clean and the repairman said the computer is in good shape(currently I'm trying to reach him).

#4 TSparmer

TSparmer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

A couple times in a week is not "occasional" when you are referring to the  BSOD. 

The blue screen of death is not usually associated with application programs but with an operating system error or a driver conflict or a true hardware conflict. 

So to answer the question you specifically asked - NO, blue screens can not come from "website conflicts" (whatever you are thinking that means) or accessing too many sites at once. 

The reason he told you not to do anything with the computer when the blue screen happens is because the information on the screen tells the person attempting to determine the source of the problem valuable information.  If you write down the error information that is on the screen (also called a "dump" ) following the words "Technical Information", you can continue using the machine. 

#5 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

Thankyou for your help.  My question is in reference to this:

"  If you write down the error information that is on the screen (also called a "dump" ) following the words "Technical Information", you can continue using the machine. "

How is it I can continue using the machine after writing down info?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

Information is presented onscreen to inform users immediately.  Similar or the same information is also available by looking in Event Viewer, but ti (often) will not be as detailed as the onscreen error...it depends on the error message.

Not all system errors result in immediately stopping the system or requiring immediate action.  IMO, it takes quite a bit to keep Windows from running at all, thus a user can continue to use the system...as long as some attention is given to the error message in a timely manner.  "Timely" does not mean next month, next year" or "when the system breaks down".

Louis

#7 Sandy Daley

Sandy Daley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

Thankyou.  I see that the man who came to repair my computer installed "Seatools for Windows"....I'm sure he ran it for some purpose. At this point I'm afraid to try anything as I'm awaiting his return call and fear if I try something on my own and further damage the computer; then he may bill me again.

He didn't seem concerned about the BlueScreens though; said the computer is in good shape.

Anyway I'll await his return call and I thankyou for your time.  You did clarify things.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users