Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

Our network in work has been giving trouble, mainly the wireless network but now today i had trouble connecting to internet,my pc is plugged via ethernet cable into a switch,and the switch is plugged into the wall, so i plugged my pc directly into the wall point and it works no problem,but when i go into switch it doesnt,so obviously switch is faulty but the lites still work on switch when i plug into a port it lights up,i thought if switch was faulty it wouldnt?,  when i plug directly into wall i get connection,but when i plug into switch it wont work,i also tried cable from wall to switch and changed that but still same

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2015 - 06:51 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

Sounds like a problem for whomever is in charge of the IT support function at your place of work.  The implications for the network go beyond your system and that person should be aware of the situation, IMO.

Louis

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

A switch can look like it is working fine with lights on and flashing, but still have a problem. I have one switch that acts up about once a month or so, it starts to drop packets and needs to be rebooted. It is due for being replaced. In your situation, with the switch out of the picture it sounds like everything works fine.

If you want to confirm the switch is bad or has an incorrect setting, running a ping test through the switch is one place to start. With the computer plugged into the switch and the switch into the wall, open command prompt (CMD) and run a ping command using the exact code below:

ping -t www.google.com

This will continuously ping google (internet) until you either close the CMD window or use Ctrl + C on your keyboard. You can also ping a different local computer connected to the same network, or a router etc, if you know how to do this.

If you have any errors or packet loss through the switch you will see that in the black window as a timeout.

It will look similar to this window:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2narbeg.png

You can run the same ping command with the switch disconnected and your computer plugged directly into the wall to verify you have no issues with your computer/internet when plugged directly into the wall.

Edited by zingo156, 27 April 2015 - 07:32 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

Im the junior tech here,the senior engineer has left im only here two months, ill try that ping text

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

Also note: it could be one of the ethernet cables causing the issue. I would run ping tests using new cables through the switch as well just in case. Or, you could try using all cables directly into the wall and bypass the switch to see if you drop packets through any of the cables.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

Also, ports on switches have been known to crap out but the rest are fine. Is it a managed or unmanaged switch? I'm guessing unmanaged. So you could try different ports on the switch as well.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:19 PM

Take a look at the ethernet cable too. What type is it, is it wired right, is it shorted, is there any broken wires, is their POE involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users