Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Search

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:49 AM

Ok using win 8.1 64 bit and a 2 T ext hard drive.

When I do a search on the C drive or the Ext Drive for a folder title or a file title sometimes its found and others times I get " Not " found.     So whats with that and what am I missed so search can find things; 

I use the search thingy on win 8 that's above the icons in the upper right and the options under  

" everywhere " don t help .

On the Ext hard drive their are a bunch of very confusing options in the header ; name and size and dates and locations etc what should those be set at so folder names and file names that are in a folder can be found.     And how do I speed up searchs in the external hard drive they are so bloody slow and are slower every time I use it so how do I speed that up ?

If for example in the C drive and or The External ; a folder is called saved letters and in that folder a file is called Family one; can t I use saved and then family or do I need the full title " saved letters " then " Family one "  and are caps / all caps needed or it does matter ?

Lastly I am on the C drive and the external is hooked up using usb 3.0 and its listed on My Pc.

How do I find something that's on the external drive when I use the search on drive C ; shouldn't that work and how does that get fixed ?

Oh ops I keep getting a pop up about safely removing add ons when I plug in the external drive into usb  I just plug in and then pull out only way I know of so whats " safely " about ?

Hope that makes sense think it does -  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:44 AM

Hi. . .

The "safely remove" feature is important and should be used.  If not, files on the external drive may be damaged.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/safely-remove-devices-from-your-computer

That is a Windows 7 paper from Microsoft, but applies to Windows 8/8.1 as well.

As for the searching - please read over this info from Microsoft - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/search-file-explorer

I would imagine that searching a 2 TB external USB drive could indeed take some time, depending on the USB drive's contents and your search criteria.  It definitely won't search as fast as the internal OS drive c: 

If for example in the C drive and or The External ; a folder is called saved letters and in that folder a file is called Family one; can t I use saved and then family or do I need the full title " saved letters " then " Family one "  and are caps / all caps needed or it does matter ?

You should be able to search for part of the 2 word folder name, but that may result in longer search times.  Test it out and see which works best for you.

As far as "case" is concerned, Windows sees upper and lower case letters as the same letter, so it doesn't matter if you use "a" or "A" - they will return the same search result.

i.e., Windows considers "Family one" and  "FAMILY ONE" to be the same.  So either can be used in a search.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:14 AM

Ok thanks for the help still not sure why files and folders aren t found on the C drive and Ext drive hope to get

more postings as to what settings or options I keep missing : (

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

I have an external 3 terabyte Western Digital hard drive connected to my Windows 8.1 machine. The drive has about 40,000 songs on it and it takes just seconds, about 3 seconds, to search for a particular song if I just enter the title of the song in the little search field on the file page. The search field is in the upper right and says something like "search this PC." I do not have to enter what album or who the artist is, just part of the song title.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

Rocky Bennett .  .

That's pretty hard to believe its that fast I have a Toshiba 2 T ext Hard drive and its never been fast typing either the full title or

one word from the title so whats the secret hard to buy your story .

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Hi again Pestyone :)

If you cannot find files and folders when using the "Search" feature of Windows, maybe you'll need to rebuild your index so the Search feature can search for files and folders correctly, and maybe delete the past Search history. In order to rebuild the index, follow the instructions in the following Microsoft Support article, under "To rebuild the index".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-advanced-indexing-options

You can also delete your "Windows Search" folder in order to create a new one when you'll do a new search and let it rebuilt. More information can be found in the link below.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/delete-windows-search-history-folder

Ultimately, if it still doesn't do the job for you, there's a Search program called "Everything" by VoidTools. Highly efficient and fast, it can find files and folders in mere seconds and also take wildcards like ", *, etc. If you want to give it a try, maybe you'll like it.

http://www.voidtools.com/

Let me know how it goes :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

I have no idea. I thought that this was normal. It was the same way with my last computer, a Windows 7 machine. So I do not have any other experience to tell me any different.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

It's not hard to believe if your Search index includes the drive where these songs are stored and if you have a good Search History built with searches to this drive and files.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

If my case I found win 7 fast and now with win 8.1 its very very slow.      In win seven it  to add things to some

search index thingy and the really speeded up things but win 8.1 is clueless very very slow and flakely .

And dang its always rebuild this ; add this and move this etc why is it never easy and yes Aura will keep you updated : (

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

I suggest you to let the index rebuilt overnight, since it can be a very lenghty operation. Also, make sure that your external hard drive is connected so it can be included in the index.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

Just to check myself to see if I was mistaken or exaggerating, I did a search just now of a song that I haven't heard in a long time. I entered Spirit In The Night and I started counting one thousand-one and I did not even begin to count one thousand two before I got the list of entries. So this is how search works on my Windows 8.1 machine.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

Are you talking about the side Windows Search that comes up when you press on Win Key + S? If so, yes it works differently than the Windows Search inside the Windows Explorer.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:35 PM

Ok just rebuilt the index took 15 minutes and indexed 4,610 items that sounds bloody low but no idea and my ext drive never blinked or made a sound that can t be good but i'll see .

How do I add the ext drive to the index list I see its "  TOSHIBA EXT (E:) " on My Pc list so guess that's the name ? 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:27 AM

Yes, you would need to add the external hard drive by clicking on the Modify option, then checking it in the list.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

Are you talking about the side Windows Search that comes up when you press on Win Key + S? If so, yes it works differently than the Windows Search inside the Windows Explorer.

No. I am talking about the little file icon on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. When I click on the file icon I get a screen that I would call "my computer." This screen shows all of my drives and stuff. In the top right of this screen is a field that says "search this pc." That is the way that search for songs. My Windows 7 machine has over 70,000 songs on it, this Windows 8.1 machine has just under 40,000 songs on it and the search is always instant.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users