Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint Mate 13 Install Acer Aspire 3000

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:23 AM

Hey guys, I am trying to install Mint Mate 13 on this laptop because it ran really well Live and better than any other that I have tried.  It's not imperative I install this as I can fall back to one of the others that run.  It just ran so nice that I would like to give it a go.  I have tried quite a bit my self to no avail.  

So far LXLE and Bodhi are the only ones that wireless works OOTB, b43firmware was included so that the wireless worked.  I can install that myself, the issue seems to be the graphics card.  Not interested in puppies at the moment.  Speccy down below.

List of ones that I have installed.

1. LXLE: Worked well but not nearly as good as mate.

2. Mate 17: Ran pretty good, slow but graphics not so good.

3. Mint KDE-17.1 worked ok.

What I have run Live:

1. Mint Mate 13

2. Mint kde 13

3. Lubuntu

4. xfce

After being installed, the issue I am having - is Mate 13 is getting stuck on the Grub menu, and won't boot.  I have installed it multiple times just in case I did something wrong.  It appears that the SiSM760GX is not well supported like the rest of this laptop, which appears to prevent boot.  Upon searching the web with something like "mint mate 13 won't boot after fresh install" and "mint mate 13 stuck in grub after fresh install" came up with these and more but tried to keep it to the Mint versions, perhaps I should look at some Ubuntu stuff also:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=122257

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4108&start=0

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=140318

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=192469&p=998664

These are some of the things I have tried to add to grub.  Note: During Install I chose Compatibility Mode.

1.  Added nomodeset xforcevesa to grub menu with a space right after $ut_handoff Then F10 to reboot.

2. Then nomodeset Reboot, did not work.

3. Then radeon.modeset=0 Reboot, did not work.

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:38 AM

Are you doing a stand alone install? Only Mint 13 as the OS? Are you just getting a blank screen with a blinking cursor? Can you elaborate?

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:23 AM

Yes Paul, sorry I have some bad concentration/memory issues.  Generally I boot(dual boot with xp)and it goes to grub and just stays there.  If I push Enter it starts to boot then goes to screen with a bunch of text.  Sometimes I get the blinking cursor screen, but I think then it goes to the Text screen from there.  I can boot into XP fine.  MintMate13-32bit runs perfectly from LiveDVD? what the heck! don't get it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:24 AM

Haven't tried nomodeset nolapic which has also been suggested.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:45 AM

is the computer 32 or 64 bit?

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:52 AM

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

I was recently exploring a problem for somone else regarding  the SiSM760GX  and read in passing if you want to use Mint XFCE you need to use  the 17 / 17.1  versions onwards..based on Ubuntu 14:04.. as they included some support for SiS  drivers... 

The person and OS i was researching was completely different so I have no idea if this actually worked

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

Does the Windows Bootloader display as it should? i am assuming that it does since you said XP works fine-

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:10 PM

I don't know what this looks like, I get the windows splash screen and all is normal.  I don't think this is a XP issue Paul.  Have installed many other distro's with no problems.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

I was recently exploring a problem for somone else regarding  the SiSM760GX  and read in passing if you want to use Mint XFCE you need to use  the 17 / 17.1  versions onwards..based on Ubuntu 14:04.. as they included some support for SiS  drivers... 

The person and OS i was researching was completely different so I have no idea if this actually worked

Yes I am trying to get around the driver issues as I understand it.  I am not trying to install xfce, Mate.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for all the help guys but I got it figured out.  All the distro's I tried did not need the b43.blacklist added to grub, but, it seems as though Mate13 does with this laptop.  I really thought it was the graphics and spent hours reading about it.  Strange that this distro needed it but none of the other Mints I tried needed it.  Compatibility Mode handled all that in the others and I thought it I saw it in grub on Mate13.  All good, now I got to get the Touchpad working correctly.

pcpunk out!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users