Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New(ish) tools used on BC

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:16 PM

I am seeking comment from any users of these tools.

hxxp://techsupportall.com/Adware-Removal-Tool.exe

from http://www.techsupportall.com/

hxxp://escanav.com/english/content/products/downloadlink/downloadcounter.asp?pcode=MWAV&src=english_dwn&type=alter

from http://www.mwave.com.au/

Mod Edit by quietman7: the links are not malicious but since there are complaints about direct downloads, I disabled them.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:05 AM

Links to the product information is one thing, posting links that automatically start downloads to desktop is simply wrong.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:15 AM

FYI......these same links are available HERE    

They are in open use on BC

Hence the reason for starting this topic

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:40 AM

FYI......these same links are available HERE    

They are in open use on BC

Hence the reason for starting this topic

That is not the point.  The links provided here at BC would be visited by user choice after having read the product information.

Anyone clicking the links in your post gets a download dumped on their desktop ............  

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:17 AM

I never heard of any of these tools till I saw them being used on BleepingComputer. And from what I've seen, they had more false positives than the others, so for the moment, I don't plan on using them. The ones I use right now (mostly AdwCleaner and JRT) does a good job by themself.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:28 AM

Adware Removal Tool is an adware cleaning tool created by TechSupportAll that is designed to detect and remove unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and their related registry entries. From my experience, I have found the tool to be ineffective, prone to false positives and can make a mess of your browser settings/user profiles so it is not one I would recommend others to use.

adware-removal-tool-300x300.png

TechSupportAll also provides various malware removal guides and hosts download links for many well known (and some questionable) scanning tools on their TechSupportAll Tools page. Several of the download links go directly to the developer's site (including bleepingcomputer.com). Other tools hosted by this site are older and no longer supported by their developers. Some may even be unauthorized versions so I would be skeptical of using those download links.

We do not know any of the TechSupportAll team members or their background. In contrast...most of the well known specialized tools we use as malware fighters are written by experts/Security Colleagues at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted...this includes any program hosted by BC for download.

The following note is typically included at other sites which advertise for TechSupportAll:

For Support:- Please contact us for any additional help at our official email addressinfo@techsupportall.com, we are happy to assist you.

While the offer may be legitimate, again we do not know the people who would be providing any such support so again I would be skeptical of asking for help.

MicroWorld eScan AntiVirus Toolkit (MWAV), like Norman Malware Cleaner, is a portable stand-alone second opinion scanning tool which enables you to remove detected malware. The tool has been available for many years and was primarily intended for use on computers which had already been infected with malware. As such, it was a go to tool used quite often by malware removal experts. MWAV uses a list of specifically targeted malware in its definition database and will only detect/remove what is found on that list. The tool is updated on a daily basis, can be configured to scan from a flash drive, or executed using various command line parameters.escan-antivirus.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

Yes....Amen to that !

Just to be brave, I ran Adware Removal Tool (after creating a new restore point), and was given a report which basically said that quite a number of my add ond were "incompatible"    (I use firefox browser exclusively)

So, being seriously underwhelmed I uninstalled it.....cleaned out all the crap the uninstallation didnt get....and then ran Eset Online Scanner.

Esets log had 1 item found....D:\Program Files\Adware-Removal-Tool\ARTP3.exe    MSIL/FakeTool.PS trojan    cleaned by deleting - quarantined

I also started to download the Mwave program (with the same restore point created)....but stopped when the installation showed a well know PUP which could not be "unticked".....in other words if you are going to use that program you are going to get a "load" whether you like it or not.

I loaded the url for that same program and found that the WOT gives it a negative rating.

So.....in a nutshell....would I trust either one of them....NO.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

I downloaded eScan from the link you provided in the OP and I didn't get any PUP bundled in the installer. It basically just extracted itself and asked me if I agree to the Terms and Conditions. What PUP came up for you?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:45 AM

The eScan AntiVirus Toolkit looks like one of those standalone portable versions of AV scanners (i.e. Emsisoft Emergency Kit), to be honest.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:46 AM

My apologies.....wrong program.

The program concerned was https://singularlabs.com/software/system-ninja/

Contents:
A: System Ninja End User License Agreement (EULA)
B: OpenCandy End User License Agreement (EULA)

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

mwav.exe is about 151 MB. MicroWorld utilizes a download manager for more efficient file downloads since escan is so large as well as a direct download. The download manager does not install or bundle anything but it may have been detected.

When clicking any of the download links, just cancel out of the download and use the one in the section which says...

Should the Download Manager fail to start, or if you do not accept the security certificate, you can click here to download the file without using the download manager.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:50 AM

My apologies.....wrong program.

The program concerned was https://singularlabs.com/software/system-ninja/

Contents:
A: System Ninja End User License Agreement (EULA)
B: OpenCandy End User License Agreement (EULA)

I used System Ninja. See my explanation in regards to OpenCandy in this topic.

There is also a portable version of System Ninja which comes without OpenCandy.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:55 AM

the second program 

https://privacyroot.com/software/www/en/wipe.php  

presented a garbled mix of bad english....such that I decided to quit while I was ahead

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

The eScan AntiVirus Toolkit looks like one of those standalone portable versions of AV scanners (i.e. Emsisoft Emergency Kit), to be honest.

Yes. As I said, it is an older tool which predates most of the tools you are familiar with.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:01 AM

the second program 

https://privacyroot.com/software/www/en/wipe.php  

presented a garbled mix of bad english....such that I decided to quit while I was ahead

Wipe is a temp file and browser cleaning tool. Your original posting lists escan as the second program so I'm not sure where you got that link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users