Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Access Lost

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dadof2

dadof2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:55 AM

I have a computer that is running Windows XP home edition. It attaches successfully to the network, I can see the IP settings and can susccessfully ping the computer from another on the network, but none of the programs on it that utilize the internet can get out. This includes Explorer, Avast Antivirus, McAfee Firewall, etc. I have disabled the McAffee firewall to no avail. The windows firewall is not running. The computer was running fine for a year with this setup. The Explorer error code is "The page cannot be dispayed". It does not matter which user is logged in, none of them can get out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:29 PM

it almost sounds like dns issues. you can use the ping command using ip addresses, but when you try to open up url's it dosent work. it could also be blocked ports as you have suggested. have you had spyware/adware/malware issues on your computer lately? have you cleaned them off? sometimes by doing that, it corrupts some registry keys and messes up your tcp/ip protocols. ill give you a URL to dl a small app. dl and run it, it wont hurt even if it dosent resolve your issues. if you use a static ip, it will make it dynamic when it is done, you will need to reboot after to make it function. btw, do you use static or dynamic ip addressing? that could be affecting your net if something had changed.

try this and post back.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 dadof2

dadof2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

I apologize for the length of time in responding to you. I have not been able to get back to the computer until now. What you suggested worked like a dream. I cannot thank you enough for the assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users