Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

This has happened several times now with my laptop, so I am hoping someone here has some ideas as to what might be happening.

My Dell Inspiron 5537 laptop (purchased last April 14) has been doing something odd lately.  I've experienced several instances of random shutdowns, when I haven't been doing anything particularly taxing.  It happens the same way every time -- I'll just be doing my thing (surfing the net, writing an email, whatever) and the laptop will make a sound like it is "revving up", then it just shuts down.  No BSOD, just a complete shutdown.

It's happened four times this month.  It happened again this afternoon.  I checked the Event Viewer log, and the information provided for the shutdown each time is identical.  It has been logged each time as a Critical Event, and apparently has something to do with Kernel-Power.  The exact error text showing up in Event Viewer is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.  This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

That doesn't really help me figure out what the problem might be.

I've checked the AC adapter and all the connections are tight; I thought maybe it was loose somewhere or something.  It's also worth mentioning, I guess, that this afternoon when the shutdown happened, I had removed the battery from my laptop (I do that from time to time if I know I am going to be using the computer more or less in one place and the battery won't be required for a while.  I can't remember, though, if the battery was out during the previous shutdowns.

I know it isn't an overheating issue; I run Core Temp and HWMonitor and as far as I can see, my temps don't climb anywhere crazy (average of between 40-45 degrees Celsius.  I run malware and virus scans weekly, so unless it's something that got past those scans, it's not that (although I know some malware/viruses can get past any scans you might run.)

I don't run anything labour-intensive on my machine (I used to love gaming but I realized long ago that I can't really afford a system that can easily handle graphics-intensive games).  I use my laptop for the usual things -- surfing the net, email, Facebook, some word processing stuff for school, and that's about it.  I really can't figure out what might be causing these random shutdowns at all, especially since there's no common thread in what I'm doing when it happens.  Today I was only writing an email.  The last time, I wasn't doing anything at all; I was across the room from the laptop when I heard the "revving" and looked over just in time to see the screen go black.

These are my system specs:

Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i5 4200U @ 1.60GHz 47 °C
Haswell ULT 22nm Technology
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 797MHz (11-11-11-28)
Dell Inc. 0845MX (U3E1)
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family (Dell)
931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA) 35 °C
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N
Realtek High Definition Audio

I would really appreciate any input or advice you could offer.  Thanks in advance!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users