Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and VM question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

Hi everyone, 

I recently purchased Windows 7 Professional to do a fresh install on a computer that was running Vista.   Everything worked great.  Now, however, I am wondering if the following is possible or allowed:

I have another computer running XP.  It is an older machine so I do not know how well (if at all) Windows 7 would run on it.  So, could I install a Virtual Machine on the XP computer and use my new Windows 7 disk to temporarily test run the computer?  I do not want to purchase another Windows 7 package until I can try it on that machine.  Will it work, or will that somehow void my other installation?

Thanks for your help.  :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

Hi MalwareMutilator :)

Yes, it's possible to use the Windows 7 Professional disc to test the OS in a VM. It'll give you 30 days before you have to enter a licence, but even there, you wouldn't need to enter one. I have a better idea. Why don't you tell me your other computer's specs, and it's brand and model, then I'll tell you if you can install Windows 7 on it? :) What we are looking at here is if that machine have the minimum recommended specs to handle Windows 7, and also if there's driver support for at least Windows Vista on it. Can you do that?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

Hi Aura,

Thanks for your help.  The XP computer easily passes the Windows Readiness Tool test, and I am somewhat certain I would not have too many issues.  Still, I do not want to spend another $120.00 without seeing it run.  I do not like surprises.   :rolleyes:

Thanks again.  Your answer helps a lot!   :thumbup2:

If you still feel you should see the specs, I can post a Speccy report.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

If you can post a Speccy report, along with the brand and model of the computer, it would help a lot yes :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users