Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Recent Internet Explorer 11 Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

I've recently experienced a problem on one of our family computers with installing Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64bit-based Systems (kb3038314).

Most of our computers installed this update properly, but one says it didn't.  Repeatedly tried (unsuccessfully) to install the update, and even rolled back to IE10 then re-updated to IE11, but no joy.

I  Googled this problem today and found that numerous people have been reporting this error to Microsoft without a MS response.  However, there may actually be a glimmer of  hope.  Just saw an online article today at (http://www.infoworld.com/article/2914383/operating-systems/microsoft-acknowledges-but-doesnt-fix-kb-3038314-installer-fail-error-80092004.html) saying to look at the "Help", "About Internet Explorer" menu choice in IE11, and if it shows KB3038314, then the update actually did install even if Windows Update says it did not.

This appears to be the case with our one family computer reporting a failed windows update, so I think we're okay. 

We just need to wait now for MS to develop a fix to clear away the "Will not install the update" error message.

Edited by Torvald, 26 April 2015 - 06:44 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R_W_B

R_W_B

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for posting this. I have this same issue today. I will check the link out as soon as I get home.

#3 R_W_B

R_W_B

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

Yep it does just as that link describes it. I've done this update on both an existing win 7 machine that came up through versions of Iexplorer, and also the same update on win 7 that had clean recovery days before where it had uploaded a huge amount of updates right off the start before it updated to Iexplorer 11.

When the former scenario did the update I did not get the "failed to install" msg, but rather it highjacked my homepage to MSM.com. If I set it back to Google, it immediately overrode my reset and put it back to MSM.com. I had to edit quite a few diferent registry keys to get it to let me keep my homepage setting. I literally searched MSM through the registry and decided where I should change it.

When the latter scenario did the update, I got no homepage highjack, just the failed to install update msg. I am seeing that KB num though, so like you (and the link) said we have the update, and MS is mum's the word on the Foobar Fix OR the Homepage Highjack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users