Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cryptowall 3.0 is in town!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 GTBigfoot

GTBigfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

Just a quick post to warn anyone who is not already aware, that the latest incarnation of Cryptowall is doing the rounds!

I have just completed a malware clean on a laptop infected with Crytowall 3.0. So far I have managed to illiminate the virus and it's assosciated trojans, but I was unable to recover the RSA key to decrypt the customers personal data. The key is sent by the virus to crimals remote server and thoroughly wiped from the victims machine.

From what I can gather, Cryptowall 3.0 seems to have hit the UK in February this year, and apart from using cpu and memory resources to perform the encryption, does not reveal itself to the user untill at least some of the files have been encrypted.

This virus is the most sofisticated malware I have yet come across, and seems to use vulnerabilities in browser plugins such as Adobe flashplayer. It also looks like the virus is smuggled in in pieces and re-assembled once on the victim's PC.The most up to date Malwarebytes can find it, but I had to remove the hard disk and connect it to my test machine to ensure a complete clean. Using safemode on the laptop did not work, fully.

The original Cryptowall originated in Russia, but there is not enough info yet to determine the latest source. I noticed a number of US based IP addresses before I shut down the network traffic to the servers, and also noted the US based telephone numbers on the ransom notes.

My advice is - backup! Everyone needs to make sure their personal data is backed up securely. There are some real horror stories out there, and it's only going to get worse, before the AV vendors get a handle on it.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 30 April 2015 - 06:39 PM.
Moved to 'General Security'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

There are lengthy ongoing discussion in these topics:Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you re-posted that information in one of those topic discussion. To avoid unnecessary confusion...this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users