Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update problems after reinstall on SSD

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ivory89

ivory89

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

Hello,

I've reinstalled ''Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - 64 BIT'' on my ''OCZ Vector Series - SSD - 128 GB - 2,5''. After the installation i installed the LAN-driver to get an internet connection to make updates possible. 

After the installation of the driver was complete i started Windows update. It downloaded 186 updates and started to install them. Upon completion the PC had to be restarted and so i did. When the PC was shutting down it started to configurate the updates, but it got stuck at 15% where after the pc just shut down. After that it started to boot windows but there was a problem... Windows recovery popped up. It restored itself, desktop popped but this time with a black background. I opened config panel to open the update panel. There it said i had to download and install an update before it could continue. I clicked on install and the error code "800705B9" showed.

If i tried to shutdown the PC it started to try to install 182 updates but upon startup the message showed it could not config the updates and undid it all. 

Also it kept using checkdisk.

(The first attempt to reinstall ended up in a non recoverable fail and had to do it all over. I started with installing all the drives of the Graphics card and Motherboard.)

I've asked the same question on a dutch forum. Someone told be to download ConEmu and Windows repair and did exactly as he told me to do. The only thing what changed is the updates are not being configurated upon shut down and no more diskcheck, but i'm still not able to update the pc. The error code "800705B9" is still there.

Maybe the fact that i only formatted the primairy partion and forgot to format the reserved one could be a part of the problem, but i'm not sure.

Can anyone please help me with this as i'm getting a bit desperate atm.

I'll be forever gratefull.

Thanks in advance. 

Ivory.

(Sorry if my grammar isn't great. I'm dutch :D)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

You grammar is better than some of our members who's first language is English. :blink:

Since you just installed the operating system, why not wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system.

Set you updates so you can select which ones get installed.  Then install the updates in smaller numbers rather than doing a hundred or more in one shot.  This way if there is a problem with a specific update it will be easier to determine what it is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ivory89

ivory89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I will try installing them in smaller numbers.

Now i have question remaining. Should i install the drivers directly after install or after the updates have been installed?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

You should at least install the chipset drivers.  But to make any other suggestions I would need to know if this is a OEM computer, or a custom build.

My computers are custom builds, so I have discs for the motherboard (chipset), graphics, wifi adapter, etc.  Once I have these installed I will install an antivirus before going online.  At this point I do the updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ivory89

ivory89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

It's custom build. I have a disc from graphics card and motherboard. Although, the disc from the motherboard has some utilities on it aswell. I assume i should prevent them from being installed.

To make it more clear, i will add a screenshot.

Three items are missing.

1. Intel Smart Connect Software

2. Lucid Virtu

3. ASRock APP Charger

Attached Files

Edited by ivory89, 26 April 2015 - 01:51 PM.

#6 ivory89

ivory89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'm trying to find the chipset driver but i don't know wich one that is.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

Try the repair written by Mark L. Ferguson at Microsoft Support.

#8 ivory89

ivory89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

Thank you, will do. :)

#9 ivory89

ivory89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

It didn't work.

I've tried the way that worked out for the topic starter, but unfortunately i can't connect to the site to download the program.

I gues i will just try to reinstall it again when i find out wich one the chipset driver is.

Edited by ivory89, 26 April 2015 - 03:00 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

I'm guessing that you saw that it requests that you place the bat file in the notepad and then how to run it?

I did get the notification for your last post, this included your question.  I'm not psychic. :grinner:

#11 ivory89

ivory89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:04 PM

Ye thought of it later on (That is why i edited the post :) ) and did it over again but yet no succes.

#12 ivory89

ivory89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

dc3, i did what you mentioned at first.

I reinstalled Windows, installed the important drivers and started updates in groups of 10. I started with the KB... updates first and did the security updates last.

At 2 points an update failed. There were 2 diskchecks wich deleted floating (Not sure if that is the right term) and damaged files. After one of the diskchecks the update history was blank and al recovery point were gone.

When i started with the security updates there was a error wich made the computer go in recovery, it was able to recover.

Now there are a few updates left, the only thing now is that i'm getting one more error code: 80246008.

How can i fix this last error?

The computer works fine again but the last updates which can't be downloaded due to the error.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

Please try the two suggested repairs here.

#14 ivory89

ivory89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

I've tried, but services won't open. Even in CMD i'm not able to get BITS started. I have used sfc/scannow but it stops at 54%. The message shows there are damaged files which can not be restored.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

From what you posted in your first post it appears that you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7, correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users