Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Memory Stick Not Showing Text Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NathanUK

NathanUK

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hello

My USB Flash Drive as stopped showing Notepad or Word files with text on. Other files like Video or Audio work fine.

Can anyone please help.

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gamla7

gamla7

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

What do you exactly mean by 'stopped showing' ?  Can you also mention the name and version of software you are using when the mentioned 'event' occurred ?  Especially the details of the explorer software you used to explore the content of the Flash Drive ? A particular setting may exclude all files *.txt from the result.

============================================================================================================

Addicted to my portable T42 [xp] and a Desk PC with mobo Asus P5WD2 E PREMIUM [vista] - both operational in older OS but want to add both onto Linux.  All my application software works perfect in the XP environment. 

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hello NathanUK, 

As gamla7 suggested, we need to have a bit more information in order to help with a more specific advise. What is the file system you're using, did you remove the flash drive without ejecting or while in use? I'd say - try to copy any of the text files on your PC or on another drive. Do they open and read properly? If those files don't show at all try this: 

1. Open a new text document in the flash drive 
2. Enter the following code in the text document: 

@echo off 
attrib -s -h -r /s /d 
cls 
exit 

3. Click File - Save as 
4. Save it as "unhide.bat" 
5. Close and delete the new text document 
6. Double click on the "unhide" batch file 
7. A black command screen will pop up and close 

If that doesn't work maybe your files system has been corrupt and you can try either by using Linux Live CD/ USB or a data recovery software. 

Hope that was helpful, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users