Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns off when gaming/streaming videos

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jsander89

Jsander89

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

It usually happens when I try to play games like Skyrim or WoW, and recently it started crashing after about 15 minutes playing Diablo 3. By crashing I mean it just shuts off without warning and to turn the computer back on I need to flip the power switch in the back of my computer off then back on after a minute or two. 

Heres the Speccy Link http://speccy.piriform.com/results/63nY3DWkku0NYFkdQKcQfUP

When I tried to download minitoolbox it would tell me "Failed - Download Error" Ive tried to download it from multiple sources all with the same failure to download.

Im running Windows 7(64bit). This has happened with a large list of games like Fallout: New Vegas, Elder Scrolls online, Diablo 3, WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Skyrim, Neverwinter Online, Far Cry 3 and 4. Sometimes by turning the settings all to Low and Medium it lets me play for a half hour to an hour, sometimes even longer but then sometimes it will crash after only a few minutes. Theres maybe a couple times where it crashed while I was watching a stream on Twitch as well. Ive cleaned out the computer with compressed air, removed and reapplied my processor chip with new thermal paste, installed a new heat sink as well as an extra fan to see if that would help. I really dont know what could be causing this, any suggestions would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

It sounds like something is either getting too hot, or your PSU is failing under a load. Gaming will use a lot more wattage than an idle computer.

I would first dust out your computer with canned air, a vacuum cleaner in "blower" mode, or an air compressor. If you use an air compressor, use no more than 40psi and use short controlled bursts of air, you do not want to over speed any fans, it can cause them to shatter. Don't forget to dust out all components that have a heat sync such as: PSU, CPU cooler, graphics card cooler, main board coolers etc. I generally blow air through every place in the computer until dust no longer comes out. I would also recommend doing this outdoors if at all possible.

Next if all of your temperatures are within spec and you are still having shut downs, I would guess your PSU is failing under a load. Replacing with a known good PSU with enough wattage to power the system is probably the best way to diagnose this problem. You can run voltage monitoring software like HWmonitor, however often times if the issue only happens during gaming and the computer crashes, you may never notice a voltage problem. You can get HWmonitor here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If you do run HWmonitor and are able to post a picture (dropbox or photobucket etc), I would like to see an image similar to this one that shows voltages and temperatures:

http://zapp5.staticworld.net/downloads/graphics/screenshots/201094f.jpg

Edited by zingo156, 27 April 2015 - 07:12 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Jsander89

Jsander89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

Heres a screenshot from HWmonitor with only Google Chrome and a couple background apps like steam and avast running. 

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/Joe_Sander/sample1_zpsdjjlun4u.png

Ill try to get one while I'm playing Skyrim later today. I airdusted my computer a couple days ago(Friday). As a side note, the AUXTIN row in my motherboard temperatures seems to range from 127C to about 60C but watching it move up and down its usually above 100C, not sure if thats the culprit but it looks a lot higher than anything else to my untrained eye.

Edited by Jsander89, 27 April 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

It could be that those temperatures are being reported incorrectly due to a software incompatibility. You might be able to verify the temperatures in the bios. Nothing looks too hot unless the AUXIN is accurate, which I doubt it is.

One thing I have seen that might cause this issue is cases with bottom mount PSU's where the case is sitting on carpet, this can cause the PSU to overheat and shut down the computer.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Jsander89

Jsander89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

Heres a clip after about 15 minutes wandering in skyrim, anything look unusual? Thanks again for helping me out. 

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/Joe_Sander/sample2_zpshgoyenn8.png

Also my desktop is sitting on top of the box the case came in and I'll sometimes have the back end by the PSU hanging off and its sitting underneath an ac vent in my room. 

Edited by Jsander89, 28 April 2015 - 10:33 AM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

Nothing obvious, again the AUXTIN temp is high shown in the max area. That might be software related. Can you show me the video card temperature? You may have to scroll down to see that. I would confirm the temps in bios for the board and cpu, at the moment, my best guess due to your system shutting off after seeing temps that are ok from those pictures, is a bad psu that is failing when under a full load (gaming).

Edited by zingo156, 28 April 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#7 Jsander89

Jsander89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

The temperature for my card is listed a couple rows under NVIDIA GTX 650, scrolling down further only lists utilization % for frame buffer, video engine, and bus interface. Is my Core and Memory under the clocks tab in my video card running at max any concern? Like it may be working at max too long and overload? If not I guess I'll have to buy a new PSU and hope that fixes my issue. Im currently using a 600W(630 combined) so I think going up to 700 at least will help. 

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

What is the brand/make and model of your psu. Quality is more important than maximum wattage. Your system should run fine on a quality 500w or 600w psu. Of course I do like to have extra myself for future updates and also less load on the psu. Psu's are more efficient running at a low % of their max load.

#9 Jsander89

Jsander89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Its a rosewill green series 600(or 630W). Ive had it since 12/2013. 80Plus Certified. Any recommendations on brands to look for?

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

I have had decent luck with Rosewell PSU's, I generally recommend Corsair. I have had the best luck with those. EVGA is a good brand as well.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

One last question I did have was do you have any over clocks? You can try removing those before replacing the PSU if you do.

#12 Jsander89

Jsander89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

Sorry for late response, I havent done any over clocking on my pc. Curiously it doesn't crash nearly as much when the air conditioning is set to 72, but 73 or night when it's not running as often will see crashes again.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

It is still possible it is a heat related event. PSU's can overheat and have no temperature sensor that you can read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users